EHX holy grail noise issues

pureanalog

• Members

Merry X-mas everybody.

I put this pedal in front. When it is on, there is quite a lot of noise created by it.

When it is in the loop then it is dead quiet.

This happens on all amps and in all places I tried it (different power outlets at different places etc).

The thing is that my main amp is a vintage Marshall that doesn't have a loop and I don't want to modify it.

So are there any workarounds to this problem, or should I just look for another reverb pedal? Otherwise the sounds of the holy grail are very good sounding to my ears. But if there is no way to get rid of the noise, I would try to sell it and get something else , like the Marshall RF-1 for example.

Or I could always ditch the REVERB from my live rig. I am not 100% sure if it makes my tone nicer or muddier as I dont play too much clean. I usually have it on with a slight touch of the effect.

• Members

are you using an individual power supply? I had a little big of noise when i used my powerbrick, but i got an EHX holy grail Power supply and all the noise went away. ive heard of other people having the same prpblem, but the individual powersupply pretty much takes care of it. is it the big box model or the new nano version or whatever?

• Members

Ok, a bit of shameless self-publicity here, but at least it's relevent! ;)

I use a Holy Grail too, into a 50w Marshall Plexi, and yes, it's hissy... but it's only really us as guitar players who notice it and get bothered by it. You can't really here it when in use, it's only when you stop playing. I use mine a lot at the moment and I just put up with it.

Example;

[YOUTUBE]wY43fg453sk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

when i have mine plugged in with any other pedal its noisy and its noisy even if i put in my loop and on my board, however if i put it the loop on its own and on top of my amp i get no noise what so ever, i think mine might perhaps have something wrong with picking up other signals and what not from other pedals, however im happy with it on my amp and in my loop as its always on.

• Members

pretty cool sounding stuff, kinda has a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds thing going on.
:thu:

Thank ya kindly :wave:

Funny thing is a few people have mentioned Nick Cave, but I've only really got into him since people have been saying it to me! There is a lot of very unintentional similarity. :)

• Members

Digitech Hardwire Reverb, Boss RV5, Line 6 Verbzilla are some of the pretty standard mass produced reverbs that'll do that...

yeah, i was kind of interested in the RV5. what i hate with boss pedals is that they suck the tone quite a lot.

By the way I have the reverb pedal, a boss ce-2 chorus, a boss DD-3 delay japan, dunlop crybaby, overdrive and all these go into the plexi channel I hi output (channel I and II jumpered). What order would you ideally put those in? I get cleans by rolling the volume back usually with the neck pickup of the les paul or both...

• Members

yeah, i was kind of interested in the RV5. what i hate with boss pedals is that they suck the tone quite a lot.

Seriously? I don't agree. They're not TB, but the buffers are good. If I had ten i might want to use a TB loooper, but 2 shouldn't make any difference.

By the way I have the reverb pedal, a boss ce-2 chorus, a boss DD-3 delay japan, dunlop crybaby, overdrive and all these go into the plexi channel I hi output (channel I and II jumpered). What order would you ideally put those in? I get cleans by rolling the volume back usually with the neck pickup of the les paul or both...

It's typical to start with gain pedals going with increasing distortion, then wah (or wah first, 100% preference), then modulation, then delay, then reverb.

Once you're there, then you start swapping around to get the sound you want.

• Members

it is the large older version not the nano.and i use the original power supply...

Hmm. Mine's not noisy at all. I would have asked the power supply question (it's crazy noisy with a One Spot), but it was already addressed. Dunno what to say. I know that it's a picky bastard, because there's some times that when I first plug it in, the effect won't switch, but that's solved by unplugging it again.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

The nano just doesn't sound as good. Also the build quality went downhill, my nano lasted a little while, my big one works forever, but the nano does remove the noise problems. Maybe yours had a bad ground? Mine is only is noisy if sharing a power supply like a 1spot. And whoever said no-one uses flerb? Flerb is the main reason I have the pedal. Well big box version. Nano flerb not so great.

Archived