Please help me decide: Clean boost vs. EQ pedal?

hallenj

• Members

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. In fact, I'm just getting into overhauling my guitar pedal setup, which is why I've joined the forum.

For my live set, at times I need a clean boost to put my solos up in the mix. Sometimes the guitar tone is very clean, round, and jazz-like, so I want to be sure the manner of boosting allows the signal to stay totally clean.

What's better for this: a booster or an EQ pedal? For example, two pedals I'm considering for this purpose are the MXR MC-401 Boost/Line Driver and the MXR M-108 Graphic EQ. I'm not tied to MXR pedals or anything, but those are general examples of what I'm thinking of.

I've also heard great things about the Xotic boosters.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks!

Jason

• Members

Yeah, my initial idea was to use an EQ in the effects loop. But then I got to wondering about the purpose of a booster.

Are there an particular EQ pedals you all would recommend? My current EQ is a Behringer 7-band, and it's pretty noisy and {censored}ty. Like I said, I'm overhauling my rig...

• Members

Yeah, my initial idea was to use an EQ in the effects loop. But then I got to wondering about the purpose of a booster.

Are there an particular EQ pedals you all would recommend? My current EQ is a Behringer 7-band, and it's pretty noisy and {censored}ty. Like I said, I'm overhauling my rig...

I've used a booster, but it adds some grit (at least the way I use it into a just breaking up tube amp). A friend uses a GE-7 in the loop w/ the mids boosted and it really cuts through for his solos.

• Members

For a volume boost, you want it in the loop. If you wanted to hit the front end of the amp a little harder, you would want the booster. It won't make anything louder, just add a bit more gain. Though the EQ could do that as well, like I mentioned before.

A lot of guys like the boss, I don't use an EQ though. I don't play leads and just use a bifet preamp to give me a little more gain and essentially give me an extra gain channel without changing the volume of the amp.

• Members

good thing with eq pedal is you can boost the mids which requires less of a level boost to cut through a mix. especially useful in 2 guitar bands. i personally usually just use a mxr micro amp in loop or in front of amp that is set and will remain set clean. i usually have lot of mids in my regular tone so to cut through i just need a small clean volume boost.

a while back i got a artec 8 band eq pedal and its was fairly cheap and works well. the plastic covers for the sliders come off real easy though its functional without them (actual sliders are metal). i also have an old mxr eq pedal but it doesn't have a level or a bypass switch so its more of a tone shaping tool that's always on. the artec is actually more musical unless i just got a good one or a bad mxr. the new mxr 10 band pedals are great pedals though they are a bit larger. biyang makes an eq pedal which looks half decent but i never tried one.

• Members

If you don't have an EQ pedal already you should probably get one, boost or not.

This is very true. A good EQ pedal is a swiss army knife of tone. IMO, there's really no reason to buy a booster unless you can't afford a good EQ (and then you'd buy an EHX LBP-1 or Screaming Bird or maybe a Dano overdrive).

• Members

I do have an Behringer 7-band EQ. I definitely agree that it's supremely helpful. The trouble is that for my live set, I've already dedicated it to a particular song (despite the fact that it's a bad pedal. I think the sliders are deteriorating because the various band signals jump in and out). Ideally, I'd get a better quality EQ pedal to dedicate to that song, and I'd still need to find another pedal to boost my solos.

Ok, I think I'll get an EQ pedal for the boosts, and maybe I'll try building the mosfet booster. I've recently been wanting to try building a pedal, so that could be a good first project. I know it's what they suggest at the DIYstompboxes forum.

• Members

I do have an Behringer 7-band EQ. I definitely agree that it's supremely helpful. The trouble is that for my live set, I've already dedicated it to a particular song (despite the fact that it's a bad pedal. I think the sliders are deteriorating because the various band signals jump in and out). Ideally, I'd get a better quality EQ pedal to dedicate to that song, and I'd still need to find another pedal to boost my solos.

Ok, I think I'll get an EQ pedal for the boosts, and maybe I'll try building the mosfet booster. I've recently been wanting to try building a pedal, so that could be a good first project. I know it's what they suggest at the DIYstompboxes forum.

EQ-20 or M9? :)

In addition to my MXR EQ, I have two more EQs on my board set to specific tones and specific tones. My future M9 will eliminate these two.

• Members

My budget's pretty small for this purchase. An MXR EQ is probably as much as I can spend. There seem like to be lots of other EQ/boost pedals that are cool (like that Diamond, Dr. Scientist, Empress, and Xotic), but they're out of my price range for now.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

An EQ gives you a clean boost if you keep all the sliders "flat" and simply raise the volume.  But an EQ can be more versatile because you can add a couple of subtle tonal boosts as well in order to accentuate certain tonal characteristics of your lead or solo.

I use a Biyang EQ, very clean and versatile, inexpensive and well-made.  But any good EQ pedal will do.  But the Pigatronix Class A Boost is also a nice unit and simply a boost, nothing more.  Well-made, inexpensive pedal.  Enjoy your exploration!

Biyang EQ.jpg

Class A Boost.jpg

48691550_BiyangEQ.jpg.a0cc607a47f22c6c7efedc41d278ae65.jpg

172200674_ClassABoost.jpg.e85bc0b7bff23abc80290c49450ba310.jpg

Archived