The Cure were the world's first emo band......

Sad Darwin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wat

the cure were an icey post punk band that turned into a psychedelic pop band and both halves of their work are equally great.

no emo there. emo started with rites of spring and fugazi and all that dc stuff that took itself too seriously, then those nerdy bands in the late 90's that wore horn rimmed glasses like get up kids and promise ring, and then somehow it became hair metal again.

• Members

wat

no emo there. emo started with rites of spring and fugazi and all that dc stuff that took itself too seriously, then those nerdy bands in the late 90's that wore horn rimmed glasses like get up kids and promise ring, and then somehow it became hair metal again.

you just named all of my drummer's influences and he claims to despise emo... LOL

• Members

wat

Correct

• Members

wat

the cure were an icey post punk band that turned into a psychedelic pop band and both halves of their work are equally great.

Well, of course they weren't really emo, as the term hadn't been coined then. Just like Nirvana weren't grunge when "Bleach" came out, and the Stooges weren't punk, although they clearly invented it.

I think Fugazi would say they were a hardcore punk band, if anything. When I hear the term "emo" I think of My Chemical Romance first. They're my gestalt emo band.

• Members

wat

Absolutely spot on.

• Members

correct, Fugazi were NOT (and ARE NOT) emo... but emo spawned by bands trying to be like Fugazi. FYI... none of them come even remotely close! I HATE emo.. but I love Fugazi.

Take care,

Vid

Well,
of course
they weren't really emo, as the term hadn't been coined then. Just like Nirvana weren't grunge when "Bleach" came out, and the Stooges weren't punk, although they clearly invented it.

I think Fugazi would say they were a hardcore punk band, if anything. When I hear the term "emo" I think of My Chemical Romance first. They're my gestalt emo band.

• Members

wat

I agree,

....and there is no such thing as British emo, it's a totally american genre.

• Members

I agree,

....and there is no such thing as British emo, it's a totally american genre.

Try as I may, there are only a very few, largely insignificant bands that might sound a little 90s emo to disprove this. I'd say you're correct.

• Members

I always say it started with Rites of Spring. I think people use Fugazi as a reference as many more people have heard of Fugazi than Rites of Spring.

However, those bands don't sound anything like what the stuff called emo is. Therefore, I publicly admit that I am old.

• Members

Try as I may, there are only a very few, largely insignificant bands that might sound a little 90s emo to disprove this. I'd say you're correct.

The first time I ever heard the term was around '96 when I was at uni and they had those Deep Elm 'emo diaries' cds in the record shop... then I didn't really hear it again until around 2001 when Jimmy Eat World got quite big.

Seems to me when the kids in the UK now talk about emo it's nothing to do with anything other than a fashion, which is just a modern take on '80's goth' crossed with Japanese fashion.....and nothing to do with 'emo' (let alone hardcore) as far as I can see.

• Members

Even if the Cure were the first emo band, they certainly wouldn't be the last worth listening to.

Jimmy Eat World, Sunny Day Real Estate & Elliott are/were all excellent bands with great songs, passionate (but not overbearing) vocal performances, thoughtful/interesting lyrics/arrangements and above-par musicianship.

:idk:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]h[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

• Members

I actually liked some of the Jimmy Eat World stuff.
:idk:
I tend to be less concerned with genre labels than I am with cool songs and performances / recordings. YMMV.
:)

I try to be like this.

But for some reason I can't listen to a band if I only like one song. I don't have any single songs in my itunes, it's all albums.

and Bleed American was the shit. gonna go listen to that now.

Archived