EHX Micro Synth - What kind of settings is Billy Corgan using?

gambit

• Members

i've never really looked into what settings he was/is using for his really good solo sound from Siamese Dream.. but it's a mixture of fuzzes/distortion/amp and this thing:

595040.jpg

is it just extra square wave fuzz? octaves + square wave?

- is the 'attack delay' effecting just the octave/square wave?

- is the filter sweep on all the time?

• Members

i would embed some youtube examples, but HC seems to have deleted them.

Mayonnaise solo 3:05min (if you ignore the phase) i can hear some kind of filter sweeping, and slightly synthetic notes blooming from sustained notes.

• Members

I use mine to get a sound like in some of the starla solo.

I put the MS before dirt.

Square wave - 10

sub octave about 5-6

Guitar up

Octave up

attack delay 0-1

resonance between 7-10

start freq - 5

stop freq - 6

rate - 4-7 (or whatever works at the time)

doing this you get a movement in the note as the filter is sweeping, but not so much as to make it cheesy like waaAAAAAAAA. It just give a rad subtle shifting to the sound. You might want to make the gap between start and stop bigger if you want it more like starla though. or put the MS after dirt.

You can do the same thing and have the sweep going down rather than up, and step on the MS momentarily,so you can be ripping a lead and then have it go BOOOOOooooooowwww.... if you catch my drift. :thu:

I think the best sounds for leads with the MS come from not having the gap between start and stop frequency be too big. Have no gap it makes a rad notch filter.

best of luck

• Members

wicked thanks. definitely keeping an eye out for a second hand one!

i agree with keeping the sweep start and stop close. the official EHX demo is awful.. big sweeping "synth" sounds failing hard everywhere :lol:

i think Billy got the use right. there's not a muff and a JCM800 combo in the world that could add that extra edge he has on those solo sounds.

Archived