The Smashing Pumpkins vs Nirvana

Still.ill

• Members

this is funny cause these are 2 of my favorite guitarists ever. maybe Lee and Thurston can't play either.

Lee and Thurston say alot more with noise than most bands can with technical skill. I'm not down on both players, just dont believe they brought alot to the table in those bands.

Pat:

Watch some American In Utero Shows and Pat is literally open strumming most times. Watch the Unplugged rehearsals and he can be rather annoying there.

Though he really made early FFs and the Germs for me. In nirvana I just see him flailing around strumming open chords. I would rather have anyone else up there.

Iha:

I guess my main gripe with Iha is watching alot of bootlegs and seeing Billy doing alot of the finger work. What Iha did do was lackuster at best. Then came the day when I read that he is not even on Siamese Dream. Ugh!

-B

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Iha:

I guess my main gripe with Iha is watching alot of bootlegs and seeing Billy doing alot of the finger work. What Iha did do was lackuster at best. Then came the day when I read that he is not even on Siamese Dream. Ugh!

-B

I need some citation on Iha :mad:

• Members

Lee and Thurston say alot more with noise than most bands can with technical skill. I'm not down on both players, just dont believe they brought alot to the table in those bands.

Pat:

Watch some American In Utero Shows and Pat is literally open strumming most times. Watch the Unplugged rehearsals and he can be rather annoying there.

Though he really made early FFs and the Germs for me. In nirvana I just see him flailing around strumming open chords. I would rather have anyone else up there.

Iha:

-B

Flailing around strumming open chords is Pat Smear's thing, that's what he's always done. Kurt just need someone to come in and help fill the sound. Pat just happens, IMO, to have a really good stage persona.

James did play some on Siamese Dream. not nearly as much as Corgan, but he has some significant parts. Live, Iha did alot of the cool fills and used interesting sounds. Remember the toy gun on the pickups in Veuphoria?

• Members

I can't stand Corgan's vocals, so no Smashing Pumpkins love here. Although they did have some catchy riffs. Nirvana was good, but I think it was all downhill from
Bleach

I'm never this blunt, but Bleach {censored}ing sucks. Only 4 songs, possibly half at best; are good. I love About a girl, School, Negative Creep and Blew, but that's it. To say Bleach is better than In Utero, that I don't understand. And even though Nevermind is too polished the songs are just miles ahead of the bad half of Bleach.

• Members

I like the rawness and sheer power of
Bleach
, in addition to what is, in my mind, fantastic song writing.
In Utero
has a lot of good moments for shure, but some of the performances on that record are pretty dull IMO.

Fair enough. I'm not a big fan of Gish as apposed to the Pumpkins following records, but I put Gish on the other day and it really blew me away.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Well in my opinion I like Nirvana better. I used to still like smashing pumpkins in the early days of Gish and as they got mainstream on MTV which is what Nirvana did not want. That's probably why Kurt Cobain didn't like if you remember before all of this alternative it was glamrock like Guns and Roses  I started disliking if not really hating Smashing Pumpkins. Even now I don't like how Billy Corrigan is I'm still banking on the 90s idea of his heyday times with the lead singer. If you ask me I'd rather listen to Trent rezner to move on to the subject of nine inch nails.

Archived