The Smashing Pumpkins vs Nirvana

• Members
in utero is my favorite Nirvana album. To be honest though I'm not a massive fan of bleach, there's a few songs on it I love but I probably listen (and like) incesticide more though.....even though it's not a real album.

why is it not a real album?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
why is it not a real album?

well it didn't feel like it to me when it came out because I had 6 of the tracks already recorded off the radio (the John Peel Session..molly's lips, son of a gun, turnaround and the Mark Goodier session..been a son, polly, aneurism) and I had the sliver 12" too.. so I had Silver and Dive already too...

....so only half of it was new to me.

• Members
I think you misunderstood me. I'm the last person to get on the "classical music elitist high horse", all I really care about is how a piece of music feels, not the skill or technique that went into it. But, if one were to say that technical merit is the ultimate deciding factor in their preference for one piece of rock music over another, then I do wonder a bit as to why they are listening to rock music in the first place.

I gotcha, point well spoken.

• Members

This thread is like Pepsi and Coke...2 really great bands regardless.

Nirvana:
Kurt Married Courtney Love.
Dave Grohl hits hard and can sing.
Krist Novoselic was scary.
Butch Vig.
Cobain was viable til he took his life.
Pat Smear cannot play.
Nevermind
Seattle
Incesticide
SmallClone

Smashing Pumpkins:
Billy Dated Courtney Love.
Jimmy Chamberlain is a great technical drummer.
D'arcy was scary hot.
Butch Vig.
Corgan was viable til he removed his hair.
James Iha cannot play.
Siamese Dream
Chicago
Pisces Iscariot
Big Muff

The list goes on...I choose Nirvana because I find a lot more feeling in everything nirvana did and you have to admire the passion. And feeling is def. what makes or breaks music for me. Not to say SP had none...

• Members

{censored}, that's hard. Nirvana will forever have my late teen years, but I rarely listen to them anymore. As much as I love Cobain and co, Siamese Dream and MCIS are just miles ahead. I love the tones on SP records, can't say that so much about Nirvana.

• Members
Bleach was ok, but I liked Gish more. Nevermind was really good, but Siamese Dream was
:love:
. In Utero was {censored}ing awesome but MCIS was EPIC.

SP is a lot more like my own song writing. I like Nirvana a lot, but SP is up there with the Cure and the Smiths for me.

Could have saved my time and quoted you, lol.

• Members

The brilliance of the early SP albums spoke to me much more deeply, and still do, than all the raw jumbled noise Nirvana put out, and I like Nirvana.

Soma, Rhinoceros, Drown, Starla ... I still get lost in these songs. Crush > Suffer > Snail is comfort music like no other for me. And Bye June is my favorite acoustic tune to play out. So Smashing Pumpkins of the two, by far.

Latter-day Billy Corgan not factored in, just to be clear.

• Members

Hey, want to know why Corgan shaved his head?

...It's all about enlightenment. Think of The Matrix. Mr. Anderson had hair at the beginning of the movie. Then, he woke up in that pod, picked up by the ship, and shaved his head. Mr. Anderson became Neo by shaving his head, right about the time he was clued into the true nature of the world.

Billy had hair for some of the MCIS shows, and the next album, Adore, is about the growth into adulthood (among other things). Going bald because of (or to enable) enlightenment is a huge trope in many, many cultures.

Billy Corgan lives as an artist. Kurt Cobain wrote songs.

• Members
This thread is like Pepsi and Coke...2 really great bands regardless.

Nirvana:

Pat Smear cannot play.

Smashing Pumpkins:

James Iha cannot play...

this is funny cause these are 2 of my favorite guitarists ever. maybe Lee and Thurston can't play either.

• Members
How'd you get that? I just found my 1994 VHS copies of the original trilogy.

I cherish them, because the original editions will never officially be released on DVD or blu-ray.

I found a torrent of them.

Though we have VHS copies of the original editions too, our VHS player ate Return of the Jedi, those things are pretty fragile, I'm glad I found a torrent.