The Smashing Pumpkins vs Nirvana

Still.ill

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Machina and yes, I liked bits and pieces of Adore and Zeitgeist.
Your point
:poke:

I love this debate
:D

my point was that out of the albums Orangesix listed, three of them are compilations or live recordings.

what's your point? :poke: :p:lol:

• Members

I think Cobain would probably be a lot like Corgan is today if he wasn't killed/suicided. People don't realize that he was kinda a loser. Didn't he beg his label to pay more to MTV so they would play more Nirvana videos? The Pumpkins albums that came out during the Nirvana era were better (imo) than the corresponding Nirvana albums. Oh, and I'm not taking any of Corgan's recent {censored} into consideration with my vote.

• Members

You need to listen to Adore a few times to appreciate it, I like it more than Gish. Machina is a great album. I could see how a metal head wouldn't like it, but to a old school Post-Punk fan like me, it was awesome. I was hoping for more like it.

• Members
my point was that out of the albums Orangesix listed, three of them are compilations or live recordings.

what's
your
point? :poke:
:p:lol:

I said 'GOOD' albums... of course that's subjective but to me Nirvana made three, SP made two.... THAT's my point, I have no idea what you lot are going on about. ..... anyway Love Battery made 5 good albums, that's the important point. ;)

• Members

It's funny when people try to come up with objective reasons as to why they prefer one band to another. You like the Smashing Pumpkins more because they were better musicians? Because they worked in a greater variety of genres? Fine. But that's no reason for anybody else to prefer them. If it was, then we ought to all prefer Chicago to the Ramones and while we're at it, we probably shouldn't even be listening to rock music, since the musicianship is much greater in classical symphonies.

• Members

If it was, then we ought to all prefer Chicago to the Ramones and while we're at it, we probably shouldn't even be listening to rock music, since the musicianship is much greater in classical symphonies.

Ah don't get me started on that. Please don't get on the classical music elitist high horse...Onyx I want to like you man.

• Members

first you dont take musician ship into account unless the songs are better which they are

like i prefer cobains songs over say yngwie malmsteen stuff... because his songs are better.

but Corgan's songs are better than cobain's songs... so his musicianship is like an added plus

• Members

first you dont take musician ship into account unless the songs are better which they are

like i prefer cobains songs over say yngwie malmsteen stuff... because his songs are better.

but Corgan's songs are better than cobain's songs... so his musicianship is like an added plus

I think Nirvana's songs are better.

• Members

I'm about on the same page, musicianship is always an added plus to me, but well written and catchy melodies with strong rhythms always take precedent.

• Members

Ah don't get me started on that. Please don't get on the classical music elitist high horse...Onyx I want to like you man.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm the last person to get on the "classical music elitist high horse", all I really care about is how a piece of music feels, not the skill or technique that went into it. But, if one were to say that technical merit is the ultimate deciding factor in their preference for one piece of rock music over another, then I do wonder a bit as to why they are listening to rock music in the first place.

• Members

I'm surprised to find myself saying this, but Nirvana.

I know all the usual complaints about Kurt Cobain but those guys together did some pretty special stuff. I really like Pumpkins but going with Nirv for this one.

And I'm off to start the "Smashing Pumpkins vs. Nirvana728" parody thread.

• Members

what's
your
point? :poke:
:p:lol:

well the compilation B-Side albums (Incesticide & Pisces Iscariot) are probably my favorite albums by each of those bands. so i d on't see why they wouldn't be considered stand alone albums.

• Members
I said 'GOOD' albums... of course that's subjective but to me Nirvana made three, SP made two.... THAT's my point, I have no idea what you lot are going on about. ..... anyway Love Battery made 5 good albums, that's the important point.
;)

i hope "in utero" and "bleach" are on that list.

• Members

i hope "in utero" and "bleach" are on that list.

in utero is my favorite Nirvana album. To be honest though I'm not a massive fan of bleach, there's a few songs on it I love but I probably listen (and like) incesticide more though.....even though it's not a real album.

• Members

well the compilation B-Side albums (Incesticide & Pisces Iscariot) are probably my favorite albums by each of those bands. so i d on't see why they wouldn't be considered stand alone albums.

those are my faves by those bands too.

B-sides always showed how great bands were. do bands today still do this?

but SP for sure tops the list. bigger influence on my youth.

the massive mcis & airplaine box set was such a huge influence.

even machina & machina II was awesome in its breadth.

Archived