DIY Tap Tempo Pedal for Boss DD-5

rich-96db

• Members

I've had a DD-5 for years, but never used the tap tempo feature because the Boss FS-5U pedal took up way to much space on my pedal board.

Following the instructions found here:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/TempoBox.htm, I built my own pedal.

All it took was about $5 in Radio Shack parts and a half-hour of my time. I works great.

Here's a picture of the completed pedal:

taptempo.jpg

• Members

First congrats on the build. BUT If you use a Normally Open switch (NO) the tempo gets set when you let UP on the switch. It's not really that bad - just fractions of a second. But if you want a Normally Closed (NC) switch if you want the "right" action. Meaning each time you step down on the switch the tempo gets set. But as above, the way you did it w/ a NO switch will be barely noticeable.

Here's how I make mine... I get a Hammond LB Enclosure and wire it up to a SPDT Footswitch from Small Bear. The reason is, Small Bear doesn't sell a NC switch. Maybe Rat Shack does (I need to look).

Then I wire it up like this:

DSC00069%20-%20small.jpg

If the wire on the right side of the switch was moved to the left you'd have a NO. You could put a toggle in there to allow the choice between the two - which I've done in the past (sorry, no gut shot):

Big Pic link

I don't bother w/ that unless someone asks for it b/c it seems silly to put a toggle in just for sake of it.

Either way, if you're happy w/ your build, rock on!

• Members

Radio Shack does sell the big switches in Normally Closed version. I have made several of these tap tempo boxes with them.

Thanks! Good to know! How sturdy are they? I've bought the smaller swithces there, but not the bigger ones. I'd assume the bigger ones are "sturdy enough."

Archived