Motion Sound Update (Keyboard amps)/Amplification Thread

Palaver

• Members

I found by adding the sub cabinet to the KP200 "top" I've got plenty of headroom to hold my own with the loudest of guitars and drums, and when it's a smaller acoustic band the wedge is just fine -- Love it -- Peace -- :thu:

• Members

I use the MS KPs-200 w/ one slave and the subwoofer....

I agree that yours is a great setup. But two 200's weigh 100 pounds (+65 pounds for the sub!) The 500 only weights 57 pounds....

• 6 months later...
  • Members

The new KP-500sn has been delayed again and again and I wouldn't count on it until someone will actually sell you one. This is typical of many products. The new MS amp was announced well over a year ago and nothing yet.

There have been many improvements in the preamp circuits of the older MS KP-200s and if you have one of the older models then you should check out the MS website for updates. If you're handy with a solder iron you can improved the S/N ratio of the preamp following their instructions. I bought one of the earliest KP-200s and there was too many changes over time so I just ordered a whole new preamp circuit board from MS for about $90 and replaced my old one. That cleaned up the signal a great deal which improved the gain.

I'm pretty happy with my reborn KP-200s and may go for the added slave at some point, which would both boost the signal and raise the cabinet. You guys do know you can add several slaves to a KP if you want? I thought I heard you could add up to 10! Two slave cabs under my KP-200s would be pretty sweet.

• Members

I got tired upon tired upon tired of waiting and sold my KP200S AND SL200S to buy a QSC 1804 single space rack amp with two incredibly beyond-light and easy to move JBL MRX 512's. WAY more headroom WAY louder MUCH cleaner. THANK YOU MOTION SOUND for screwing this up and forcing a dedicated customer who has bought a number of products over the years and even worn your t-shirts into a new setup -- with which I am immensely happier. Nice job. Oh, gotta go take my Motion Sound bumper sticker off the car.

I understand part problems. And I also understand wanting to introduce a product when it's an idea and not a reality, and as a former ad agency senior executive I understand it's a bad idea. All of which confirms a saying from my advertising agency days: "There's a big difference between being first-to-market and right-to-market."

Neil

www.myspace.com/AlteredDominant

• Members

The new KP-500sn has been delayed again and again and I wouldn't count on it until someone will actually sell you one. This is typical of many products. The new MS amp was announced well over a year ago and nothing yet.

There have been many improvements in the preamp circuits of the older MS KP-200s and if you have one of the older models then you should check out the MS website for updates. If you're handy with a solder iron you can improved the S/N ratio of the preamp following their instructions. I bought one of the earliest KP-200s and there was too many changes over time so I just ordered a whole new preamp circuit board from MS for about $90 and replaced my old one. That cleaned up the signal a great deal which improved the gain.

I'm pretty happy with my reborn KP-200s and may go for the added slave at some point, which would both boost the signal and raise the cabinet. You guys do know you can add several slaves to a KP if you want? I thought I heard you could add up to 10! Two slave cabs under my KP-200s would be pretty sweet.

Good info:thu:. I plan on checking it out. I got my KP200s in Jan. '06 so I don't know how many improvements came after that.

• Members

I got tired upon tired upon tired of waiting and sold my KP200S AND SL200S to buy a QSC 1804 single space rack amp with two incredibly beyond-light and easy to move JBL MRX 512's. WAY more headroom WAY louder MUCH cleaner. THANK YOU MOTION SOUND for screwing this up and forcing a dedicated customer who has bought a number of products over the years and even worn your t-shirts into a new setup -- with which I am immensely happier. Nice job. Oh, gotta go take my Motion Sound bumper sticker off the car.

I understand part problems. And I also understand wanting to introduce a product when it's an idea and not a reality, and as a former ad agency senior executive I understand it's a bad idea. All of which confirms a saying from my advertising agency days: "There's a big difference between being first-to-market and right-to-market."

Neil

www.myspace.com/AlteredDominant

nmcq333 (Neil) - you find that the pair of MRX 512's w/the QSC amp to have much more power than the Motion Sound KP200S w/SL200S slave cabinet? Interesting... what do you use for a mixer?

Also, do the MRX 512's have a trapezoidal shape & do you lay them on the ground as floor monitors - flanking you on left and right?

• Members

Good info:thu:. I plan on checking it out. I got my KP200s in Jan. '06 so I don't know how many improvements came after that.

Yah - I've had mine a few years also but the new preamp/electronics does sound inviting...

BTW - pfc, I see from your Sig. that you've moved out of the "Freebird Trailer Park" (that was you, wasn't it?) into the "redneck jazz laboratory"... glad to see you're moving up in the world. :thu::lol:

• Members

The slave cabinet thing sounds interesting also but would mean more heavy stuff to drag around. If you run only one slave cabinet, does it act as a mono sub - & if there's two are they stereo subs, ie, each one is dedicated to one of the 2 amps in the KPS200?

• Members

According to Sweetwater, they will have them next week. I guess we'll see.

• Members

Motion Sound claimed that they were going to show that new KP-500sn at NAMM and then have it on the market by April, last I knew - I heard this first hand 'cause I had called MS in December to ask about my XLR out problem (where I got no gain from the XLR Outs when running into an FOH PA)... but that problem actually went away by itself - or might have been caused in the past by, um
(gulp)
- operator error...
:rolleyes::o
ha ha! - I just might not have had the channel inputs set properly on whatever PA it was going into.

I heard about the KP-550sn Winter NAMM 2008. They've been shoving the release date forward ever since.

"Improved gain" would cool - for $90... although I don't know I trust myself to do the soldering right. But even if get my local sound repair/guitar tech. guy to do it it would probably still be under $200 altogether, parts & labor. That "improved gain" might be just enough to give the KP200S the breathing room it needs, volume-wise, on the occasional loud & really loud bar gigs I use it on here and there...

It really cleaned up the sound and boosted the signal gain. I can drive the KP-200s harder now and still have a clean sound so I'm getting more out of the amp. It's a good upgrade and it wasn't hard for me to install but some basic soldering was required. You might order it and give it a look-see before you commit to having someone put it in for you.

The slave cabinet thing sounds interesting also but would mean more heavy stuff to drag around. If you run only one slave cabinet, does it act as a mono sub - & if there's two are they stereo subs, ie, each one is dedicated to one of the 2 amps in the KPS200?

Uh oh... just looked on the MS website and the SL-200s slave cabinet is not there. Wonder if it's been discontinued ? Sweetwater is still listing it though here.

The SL200s is an exact copy of the KP-200s without the mixer. It has recesses where the feet of the KP-200s go. The idea is to simply double the power/speakers/height of the KP-200s and use the mixer of the original amp... seems simple enough. It would still be stereo etc. It looks like the subwoofers they offer are all mono. I was more interested in the SL200s than a dedicated sub myself... I have JBL EON powered subs now if I just wanted more bass, so I thought that even though it'd be like carrying two KP-200s amps it would be worth it to have the SL-200s for band gigs. Beats milk crates ! :D

• Members

I heard about the KP-550sn Winter NAMM 2008. They've been shoving the release date forward ever since.

It really cleaned up the sound and boosted the signal gain. I can drive the KP-200s harder now and still have a clean sound so I'm getting more out of the amp. It's a good upgrade and it wasn't hard for me to install but some basic soldering was required. You might order it and give it a look-see before you commit to having someone put it in for you.

Uh oh... just looked on the MS website and the SL-200s slave cabinet is not there. Wonder if it's been discontinued ? Sweetwater is still listing it though
here.

The SL200s is an exact copy of the KP-200s without the mixer. It has recesses where the feet of the KP-200s go. The idea is to simply double the power/speakers/height of the KP-200s and use the mixer of the original amp... seems simple enough. It would still be stereo etc. It looks like the subwoofers they offer are all mono. I was more interested in the SL200S than a dedicated sub myself... I have JBL EON powered subs now if I just wanted more bass, so I thought that even though it'd be like carrying two KP-200s amps it would be worth it to have the SL-200s for band gigs. Beats milk crates !
:D

So Jim, does the SL200S have an amplifier but no mixer or is it literally just a "slave" cabinet w/speakers only - like when guitarists use those Marshall cabinets in "stacks"?? :confused:

And btw, I love milk crates... - - they're sturdy, stack tightly, can be used to carry stuff to the gig and then used as an amp stand during the gig. :thu: I used to always carry two - and on some gigs would flip them both over to use as a stand for the KP200S. Nowadays I only carry one and use a little suitcase for all the other junk that was in the other... so on occasions when I do have the amp (on the wedding band gigs I don't use an amp - they have a headphone/in ear distro system called "Hearback") - I carry a simple single-braced x stand, put it at the highest level position it can go & it gets the KP200S way up at ear level... at least, my ear level, since I'm short. :lol:

The only other caveat I could see w/that SL-200S slave is that with a cover over it, it would look exactly like the KP200S amp (same exact form factor, right?) & I could see myself grabbing the wrong one easily, getting to the gig & realizing I'm screwed! :lol: I guess I'd have to mark an easily distinguishable "S" on the cover, for "Slave" or someting like that. :thu:

• Members

So Jim, does the SL200S have an amplifier but no mixer or is it literally just a "slave" cabinet w/speakers only - like when guitarists use those Marshall cabinets in "stacks"??
:confused:

It is a powered slave cabinet with the same specs as the KP-200s: 100 watts per side. So a KP-200s + an SL-200s = 400 watts total.

And btw, I
love
milk crates... - - they're sturdy, stack tightly, can be used to carry stuff to the gig and then used as an amp stand during the gig.
:thu:
I used to always carry two - and on some gigs would flip them both over to use as a stand for the KP200S. Nowadays I only carry one and use a little suitcase for all the other junk that was in the other... so on occasions when I
do
have the amp (on the wedding band gigs I
don't
use an amp - they have a headphone/in ear distro system called "Hearback") - I carry a simple single-braced x stand, put it at the highest level position it can go & it gets the KP200S way up at ear level... at least,
my
ear level, since I'm short.
:lol:

You don't have to sell me on milk crate technology... been there, done that. All I was saying is the an SL200s would be better.

The only other caveat I could see w/that SL-200S slave is that with a cover over it, it would look exactly like the KP200S amp (same exact form factor, right?) & I could see myself grabbing the wrong one easily, getting to the gig & realizing I'm screwed!
:lol:
I guess I'd have to mark an easily distinguishable "S" on the cover, for "Slave" or someting like that.

The SL200s does not have a top handle like the KP200s does.

• Members

Hey guys,

I just got an e-mail back from Motion-Sound. Check this out!

Phil,

The KP-500SN is finally shipping now! I will advise that you see our local dealers in your area and place in your order.

Thanks,

Hajie M. Goll

Executive Manager

2370 South 3600 West

Salt Lake City, UT 84119

801-265-0917 Ext. 410

801-265-0978 Fax

hajie.goll@xpaudioinc.com

• Members

BTW - pfc, I see from your Sig. that you've moved out of the "Freebird Trailer Park" (that was you, wasn't it?) into the "redneck jazz laboratory"... glad to see you're moving up in the world.
:thu::lol:

Deep in the bowels of the Freebird Trailor Park (now a gated community BTW), underground in a converted tornado shelter, is the Redneck Jazz Laboratory. Farting is punishable by death. That is all the information you will get out of me, because it is Super Top Secret.:cool:

• Members

Sorry man, but that's (mostly) wrong.

You're on the right track about Decibels being a logarithmic scale, but your list is quite a bit out.

To calculate the difference between two levels in dB you work out the ratio of the two powers/levels/whatever you're measuring, then calculate 10 times the log of the ratio.

Humans perceive something 6dB louder to be twice as loud.

Doubling the power gives a 3dB increase.

Therefore to have something sound twice as loud you have to supply four times the power, not ten times.

'Normal' human ears can perceive differences in level much finer than 1dB.

Sorry to have to contradict you on a public forum but people people might read it and take the wrong information as gospel.

For stating what needed to be said, and for beating me to the punch.

Archived