My Bloody Valentine distortion ques

chrisjnyc

• Members

He Mostly uses his Cranked marshall! there is a rumour that he used to use a marshall shredmaster live... but turns out it was a marshall Guvnor he was actually running.

The other guitarist/singer girl uses a Boss Heavy Metal for her dirt needs

• Members

bilinda used to use an hm2 live. she confirmed this in a recent interview. now she just has an ernie ball vol and tu2. kevins main dirt now seems to be marshall plexi's and hiwatt's. during isn't anything he used 2 marshall guv'nors and for loveless he used a turbo rat, a guv'nor, and roger mayer axis and mongoose fuzzes. this is just live though. in the studio he used just about everything. i recently saw a picture of them in a studio in the early 90's where the black tonebender that is in his rig now can be seen on the floor.

tl;dr

• Members

If you think they had multiple tracks of guitar on loveless, wrong. I could think of simple inversions(something I red in an interview as to their writing technique)... but open tunings w/ same notes in the chords are where its at. NOT Siamese Dream multiple madness or early Slowdive cloudy layering.

Isn't anything was recorded w/ fender sidekick SS amps I don't know about their tours?

An old roadie did confirm a couple of marshall governor pedals for loveless tour(but he wasn't at the studio and doesn't seem like the type who would beg Kevin for the answers:rolleyes:). If you read an early interview w/ guitar player mag I think he says sometimes they reran the recorded guitar parts back into the amps to make them dirtier?:eek:

Those Boss EQ pedals are important to the mbv focus dirt as they only wanted a specific 1khz area(frown) to be heard. Does this make marshall pedals more fuzzy?

I had a photo of his huge pedal rig for Loveless and its clear that he had a turbo rat, boss od/dist pedals/ maybe guvnors/ roger mayer fuzzes.

For the reunion tours he seemed to like pete cornish fuzz/roger mayer/ devi ever/ tons of Octave pedals, tone bender, tube screamer, big muff... almost all of his pedals have their controls maxed!:facepalm:

When I see the control marks for the HIWATT/Marshall super heads I believe they are somewhat dirty but the fuzzes are whats giving it the most graniness. At those markings, I don't think he was going thru "full stacks" maybe just one cab per each head maybe?

acdc518 if you've gots some pics of their rigs from ealry days by all means share them in order to confirm.

• Members

ok, here is the pic from the studio. i circled the tonebender in red

mbvstudio.jpg

here is the tonebender in his current rig. it looks the same to me. also if anyone knows what the white pedal i circled in green is i would like to know.

ksrig.jpg

diabolus, i would love to see the pic you have of his early 90's rig if you could post it.

• Members

is this a tonebender MKIII?

ok, here is the pic from the studio. i circled the tonebender in red

mbvstudio.jpg

here is the tonebender in his current rig. it looks the same to me. also if anyone knows what the white pedal i circled in green is i would like to know.

ksrig.jpg

diabolus, i would love to see the pic you have of his early 90's rig if you could post it.

Archived