M9 or TC NOVA SYSTEM ?

• Members

Hello to all !!

Im looking for some opinions from the forum , i want to replace my Boss GT8 !

my 2 options are the LINE 6 M9 or the TC Nova System , i have a few pedals

to run with it as well etc etc , i have been running the 4 cable method with the GT8 , and from what i have read you can't do this with both of these units ? I'm running a Marshall 6100LM head & cab , it would be great to get your thoughts .:wave:

thanks

• Members

Its important to me to be able to seperate the f/x , the time base stuff into my loop and the common comp. wah , o/ds should stay in the front end etc .

My question is ... Is there any other way to do run the 4cm with these two units ?

I'm thinking Not , but theres a ton of smart guys who may have a trick etc !!

thanks for your help ..

• Members

I like the looks of the M9 unit as well , it gets great reviews all over the net ......but i think its the same as the TC unit , I don't think the 4 cable method will work on that unit also .......so i'm kinda in a Jam !

*I need Midi to switch the Channel on my Marshall 6100 head .

*I want a unit with send and return for F/x loop routing .

*I prefer it be floor based

*And i'm not going back to Boss !

Any other units you guys can think of ........

thanks for any help .....

• Members

I have a Nova system and I love it, but I don't think it will run on the 4 cable method. Now for my "Nova low-points" I don't care for the distortion/overdrive from the Nova so I use amp distortion or stack a Tubescreamer into a Catalinbread DLS for my dirt sound. The tuner on the Nova is absolute crap, so you should plan on getting a separate tuner if you go this route. You have also probably heard about the delay in switching presets. It does not change until you lift up your foot. This seems to drive most gigging guys I have talked to crazy and they tell me they can't deal with the switching.

If you can live with those shortcomings, the delays reverbs, chorus etc. are amazing sounding. The eq is so tweakable, I have not even scratched the surface. The Boost is very usable. See if you can try before you buy as it is pretty subjective. Hope this helps a bit.

• Members

I have a Nova system and I love it, but I don't think it will run on the 4 cable method. Now for my "Nova low-points" I don't care for the distortion/overdrive from the Nova so I use amp distortion or stack a Tubescreamer into a Catalinbread DLS for my dirt sound. The tuner on the Nova is absolute crap, so you should plan on getting a separate tuner if you go this route. You have also probably heard about the delay in switching presets. It does not change until you lift up your foot. This seems to drive most gigging guys I have talked to crazy and they tell me they can't deal with the switching.

If you can live with those shortcomings, the delays reverbs, chorus etc. are amazing sounding. The eq is so tweakable, I have not even scratched the surface. The Boost is very usable. See if you can try before you buy as it is pretty subjective. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the great info !!

Now where should i run it IYO ? In my f/x loop , or In the front end of my Marshall 6100LM ?

I have a good modded Boss CS-3 compressor ,Overdrive pedals , BBE sonic stomp ,BBE Boosta Grande ,Boss TU2 tuner , WAH , and Ernie Ball Volume pedal . ?

Would i get the most out of the Nova system in my loop ?:confused:

• Members

Sounds like you're wanting to like the Nova system-- I just saw Needtobreathe in concert and their guitarist was using one (as well as the bassist)... he had extra ODs and tuner... so yeah, I had an M13 for a while and really liked it, but I'm more of an individual stomp guy. That said, I got it before the M9 came out and if I were to go the MFX route (or wanted to downsize to something different), I'd definitely get the M9 over the Nova... not to say it's not a great system, but the ability to put any of the many effects in whatever spot is great... if you don't like the drives, etc. you don't have to use them- on the Nova I think that if you don't like the drives, you have an unused switch on the top...

I'm rambling--- at the end of the day, I say M9 or M13.

• Members

The Nova System is the one i want , but its looking like i may have to look to another unit like the M13 if i want do have f/x loop etc . I really like the idea that you can put your delays etc. into the f/x loop of your amp , and then the o/d and distortions , wahs, etc out front . This not possible i hear with the TC Nova System or the LINE6 M9 !! and i want to stay away from rack stuff , its just not what i'm looking for these days !!!

TB 308 thanks for the tips !!!

• Members

I think what you really want is the TC Electronic G System, but it costs 3x what the Nova System costs. Would allow the 4 cable method though, as well as having some programmable loops to put other pedals in.

But yeah, sticking around the same price of the M9 or Nova System, your options are the M13, Digitech RP1000, Zoom G9 or Line 6 X3 Live. All will allow the 4 cable method. Can't think of any others at that price point.

• Members

I think what you
really
want is the TC Electronic G System, but it costs 3x what the Nova System costs. Would allow the 4 cable method though, as well as having some programmable loops to put other pedals in.

But yeah, sticking around the same price of the M9 or Nova System, your options are the M13, Digitech RP1000, Zoom G9 or Line 6 X3 Live. All will allow the 4 cable method. Can't think of any others at that price point.

Thanks ChuckNorris:thu:

• Members

If I wanted a multi for time or modulation based effects like delay, reverb, chorus and pitch shifting I'd go with the Nova. If I wanted a stomp box replacer for pre-amplifier effects like dirt, I'd go for the M9.

• Members

Sounds like you're wanting to like the Nova system-- I just saw Needtobreathe in concert and their guitarist was using one (as well as the bassist)... he had extra ODs and tuner... so yeah, I had an M13 for a while and really liked it, but I'm more of an individual stomp guy. That said, I got it before the M9 came out and if I were to go the MFX route (or wanted to downsize to something different), I'd definitely get the M9 over the Nova... not to say it's not a great system, but the ability to put any of the many effects in whatever spot is great... if you don't like the drives, etc. you don't have to use them- on the Nova I think that if you don't like the drives, you have an unused switch on the top...

I'm rambling--- at the end of the day, I say M9 or M13.

Makes sense you'd be a Needtobreathe fan. :thu:

• Members

I run my Nova in the FX loop. The cool thing for me is that I like the distortion sound from my amp, so running the Nova through the loop lets me also send the preamp sound of my main amp out to a second amp(Power amp in) and it's a killer stereo setup!! You can even set the nova to boost or cut the volume on either amp if one is louder. I have no complaints about running it through the loop. However if you like the OD/distortion on the NOVA, you have to run it in front of the amp to use it. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread for a while!!

Mike

• Members

I run my Nova in the FX loop. The cool thing for me is that I like the distortion sound from my amp, so running the Nova through the loop lets me also send the preamp sound of my main amp out to a second amp(Power amp in) and it's a killer stereo setup!! You can even set the nova to boost or cut the volume on either amp if one is louder. I have no complaints about running it through the loop. However if you like the OD/distortion on the NOVA, you have to run it in front of the amp to use it. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread for a while!!

Mike

thanks a bunch !!!:thu:

I really only use the overdrives and dist. sounds from my 6100 Marshall , this is an amp thats hard to beat with a pedal etc . I guess i'm wondering if i pick up a T.C. NS will i waste a bunch of good features in the NS cause i will only be running it in my loop of the 6100.

It makes so sense to me why TC did not put a F/X send & return in the NS ???:facepalm::idea:

Archived