Obama healthcare... whats the fuss?

King Rat

• Members

whats the deal my american brothers... why is everybody pissed?

From what i can understand that obama guy brought in a new health care plan, similar to medicare which we have in australia... which is a good thing, if your ass is broke or your a single mum or on a pension. you get your scripted drugs cheaper and doctors visits subsidised.. which is cool when your not so well off.

i dont see a problem with it here, its not perfect but people are happy. if you dont wanna pay the levy/tax for everyone else you join private health insurance and u dont pay the medicare tax for everyone else. If i broke my arm right now... just go to the hospital... get it fixed then come home all good... no charge..

Is this whats changing over there? cause i hear if u get sick or injured your up {censored} creek.

I dont understand why a whole bunch of well off politicians would oppose to the change of what u have to something better? why are people protesting? are they for or against it?

it just doesnt make sense to me.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

everyone's out for themselves..

the people who opposed it disgust me. they basically want poor people to die/suffer. the NHS in the UK was one of the single best ideas a politician ever had.. and a lot of MP's had to push that idea through despite a lot of opposition from the people too.

it's certainly a step closer to the ideal 'free' healthcare for all, but the whole pharmaceutical industry in America looks massively corrupt that there'll always be a compromise.

• Members

It's not a medicare program. It's a number of subsidies, and regulations aimed at boosting the number of people with health insurance. The private insurance model stands. Along with their millions of new customers, they will be under heavier scrutiny, and not allowed to drop people for pre-existing conditions.

People are made because they EITHER believe this is a total government take over of the medical industry OR because they wish it was a total government take over of the medical industry.

It's a big fat compromise that everyone believes is miles from perfect.

Personally I think it will make things slightly better, but worry about how much it will cost in the long run. I also worry that insurance companies will just go right back to lobbying and incrementally get it all repealed.

• Members

everyone's out for themselves..

the people who opposed it disgust me. they basically want poor people to die/suffer. the NHS in the UK was one of the single best ideas a politician ever had.. and a lot of MP's had to push that idea through despite a lot of opposition from the people too.

it's certainly a step closer to the ideal 'free' healthcare for all, but the whole pharmaceutical industry in America looks massively corrupt that there'll always be a compromise.

I think there's a significant number of people who opposed it because it didnt go far enough. Granted they were not at tea party rallies, but they showed up in the polls showing ~40-50% did not support the bill. The poll no one reported was how many people were happy with the status quo... 15%.

• Members

Healthcare in the USA just got a bit better.

Far from efficient, but at least it will be way more humane than before.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing, should be re-educated about the issue or get some better values in my opinion. I think it's sad that it was able to come this far without anyone doing anything about it.

• Members

-_oVK7iXkgo

This video outlines what the more sane people are concerned about.

Basically it doesn't do enough, and it has nothing in the bill to prevent our premiums from rising even more.

It's also a great thing for drug companies as Obama made a deal with them that we can't import our drugs for lower prices. Insurance companies get 30 million new customers, and the mandate without a cost cutting measures is a bad idea.

Granted, I am still glad it passed as it is at least a small step forward.

However I'm worried the insurance companies are going to jack our rates up and the republicans will convince people it was because of the bill.

• Members

Healthcare in the USA just got a bit better.

Far from efficient, but at least it will be way more humane than before.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing, should be
re-educated
about the issue or get some better values in my opinion. I think it's sad that it was able to come this far without anyone doing anything about it.

Perhaps a bad choice of words if you are trying to convince the fringe.

• Members

Americans are mad because they're clearly stupid. I've dealt with many Americans, and I can tell you from personal experience that they're all morons. They don't know what's good for them, they repeatedly vote against their own interests, and they clearly have no idea what actually goes on. They're all single-issue voters who have a myopic world view that only concerns their narrow interests. I hate them.

• Members

Americans are mad because they're clearly stupid. I've dealt with many Americans, and I can tell you from personal experience that they're all morons. They don't know what's good for them, they repeatedly vote against their own interests, and they clearly have no idea what actually goes on. They're all single-issue voters who have a myopic world view that only concerns their narrow interests. I hate them.

It's our media's fault imho.

• Members

It's our media's fault imho.

it totally is. watch some of the videos of the town hall meetings. It's all Glenn Beck lying rhetoric bull{censored}.

Fox News is down right {censored}ing evil.

It is sad where a comedy program like The Daily Show ({censored}ing love it) is just as if not more informative than actual news outlets.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/10/10/the_daily_show_vs_the_nightly_news.php

A study on the subject, I've seen others saying the same thing as well.

When I want to read about the news I go to the BBC.

• Members

Perhaps a bad choice of words if you are trying to convince the fringe.

Maybe, but I don't think I need to convince anyone since I'm not even a US citizen and since it passed. I'm just stating my opinion about the matter.

• Members

another look at all that is wrong with america.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

One of my personal favorites is the woman talking about Czars. Czars in america are not a russian czar. Czars were used under Bush and no one bitched about it then. But Obama has czars and WOOOAAAHHHHH!!! COMMUNIST COMMUNIST COMMUNIST.

and that dumbass in the steelers coat talking about how she is set up to handle foreign policy because Russia is right across the street. States do nothing to handle foreign policy. Arizona and Texas are the closest we have, and all they do is catch people crossing illegally. they don't do anything about the policy.

• Members

it totally is. watch some of the videos of the town hall meetings. It's all Glenn Beck lying rhetoric bull{censored}.

Fox News is down right {censored}ing evil.

It is sad where a comedy program like The Daily Show ({censored}ing love it) is just as if not more informative than actual news outlets.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/10/10/the_daily_show_vs_the_nightly_news.php

A study on the subject, I've seen others saying the same thing as well.

When I want to read about the news I go to the BBC.

The Daily Show is awesome!

I've found a show I really like though, The Young Turks.

They are member supported which I like.

I've been watching them for a while and they are very committed to reporting the truth. They are the true alternative media.

I laugh whenever fox news talks about the mainstream media. They are the #1 cable news network by far, they are the most mainstream of all the media.

• Members

Doesn't do one damn thing to get costs under control. Funny how they forgot about that.

My wife sprained a pinkie a few months ago. They told her there was nothing to do for it but to try not to use it, but if she likes they can give her a splint. She figured ah well, sure why not. She didn't end up using it.

That $2 piece of crap splint she didn't use cost $87. We were mistakenly sent the bill for it, it was covered by her insurance. Otherwise we wouldn't have found out.

That's a good example why health care is so {censored}ed up here, and the bill does exactly zippo to correct crap like that.

Oh, and in before the lock.

• Members

that must really really suck for YOU considering your current location.

Archived