How good are Guitar Fetish parts?

• Members

I'm planning to build a guitar with my uncle when I get the cash...but I'm probably gonna get $500 max. Now he's saying that I should get a custom Warwick body and neck and it's coming out to a LOT of money. I asked him, "What about GFS stuff?" And he said, "I don't know, but I would get a Warwick." But he's not the one spending the money :facepalm:

So how are GFS parts? Are they durable at the very least? :idk:

• Members

I've gotten trem blocks from them that have been great, and I still really like the prewired PG I put in a Squier. I've haven't used their necks/bodies though. You may want to inquire of HCEG - a few guys over there have used the Strat and Tele bodies. Good results, I thought - but I don't want to put words in their mouths.

• Members

I just bought a bunch of parts, im not super impressed.

They were all tele parts.

The control plate holes were drilled to small, had to return (and still waiting for an exchange...)

The input jack cup...was too large.

The bridge was ok, although not the best quality metal IMO.

The tuners so far seem solid.

• Members

Pots are Alphas, so they're good.

Everything is metric, so keep that in mind. You can put metric pots on anything, but when you finally build the damn thing pick one: Metric or imperial. Since cost is an option, you're going to want metric.

Tele & Strat switches are f'd up beyond all belief. Any diagram you get will have the switch with two rows of solder points on either side of the switch. GFS switches, all the lugs are in a row. Confusing as all hell.

I'd be wary of anything you read on the internet concerning GFS if I were you. I'm not saying that their parts don't have their place - I'm rockin' a GFS tele bridge pup in my esquire because it kicks ass - but I think they're over-rated.

• Members

A lot of the GFS stuff is, uh, consumer grade. So is most of Stew Mac. Hell, so is most stuff on the market these days. I can't justify serious hand labor to assemble mass production crap.

Get the good stuff, a chrome tele plate that doesn't have waves in it is worth another few bucks.

That said, there are some bargains in the GFS world, but you do need to pick and choose.

What sort of guitar are you building?

• Members

Just buy a Benford. He'll custom build you a MUCH higher quality guitar at $400.

Here's my custom Benford Tele... it cost $725, but I got a lot of additional stuff that you won't need (boutique pickups, Grover tuners, etc.), and you'll still get a phenomenal guitar:

BenfordTele024.jpg

BenfordTele006.jpg

BenfordTele016.jpg

Unless you have your heart set on building a guitar on your own, I'm telling you... Benford is the way to go. The guy truly knows what he's doing, and somehow he's still able to give you a phenomenal price. :thu:

http://benfordguitars.com

• Members

If you're looking at a strat style guitar, maybe consider a Carvin bolt kit. I can't speak to the quality of one yet, but everyone seems to have a pretty high opinion of them. I've got one on the way with SS frets ($40), Ebony fretboard ($0), 10" radius($40), alder body ($0), and a black pickguard (5$). Total price with shipping was $486.