What is the big deal with a Centaur Klon? Why so expensive?

• Members

I have never tried one or seen one. Not even sure what type of pedal it is. What does it do and why is it so expensive?

It's an overdrive pedal that lawyers and other bedroom-wanking middle-aged men use to enhance their tone.

It's just a solid overdrive pedal, they cost so much because there are so few of them in existence: a phenomenon known as hype.

• Members

It's an overdrive pedal that lawyers and other bedroom-wanking middle-aged men use to enhance their tone.

It's just a solid overdrive pedal, they cost so much because there are so few of them in existence: a phenomenon known as hype.

define "few". There have to be a good 20,000 of them out there. He's been making them and nothing else for 16 years now.

• Members

if you take a look at klon backwards, it explains everything:

nolk - nolk was a english trader in the cantonese islands of Hermisch invaded by Poland in 1940, fast forward 50 years to the town of Hermisch, new jersey & Joe Perry's old pal Suresh needed to get money for a lambohrghini espanda he had just bought from steve tyler. Joe said, make a gold guitar pedal thingy with this horse lokkin of a thing and make it do magical things. Joe then told duff mckagen that this pedal was expensive, thats how the legend was born

• Members

They aren't rare. They have a unique sound and feel to them as overdrives go imo. they are on the high side at $344 new but not way out of line as boutique pedals go0. i disagree with the dr/lawyer pedal comment too. It's def a players pedal and are on a lot of pro boards.

Why people pay inflated used prices? because people are dumb and/or impatient. Now that they are temporarily discontinued people have gotten even dumber.

Thx. I will make sure to stay clear. Is there anything else like it that is cheaper and would I wont one? I am running into a Mesa RK II from a FullDrive 2 MOSFET.

if you've never heard or seen one why are you interested in finding something like it? lol, this is the classic stage one symptom of the hype victim. Stage 2 is throwing down wads of cash so tread carefully.

Your fd2 is a great pedal. it does basically the same thing as the klon or any other od pedal. klon or bjf will not make you a better player

• Members

I have never tried one or seen one. Not even sure what type of pedal it is. What does it do and why is it so expensive?

It is a now-discontinued 'mild' overdrive pedal which is like a handmade, very up-market TS808. The circuitry inside is not that complex but shrouded in black goop so it is difficult to copy. It is expensive because it is handmade by a very good designer who uses top-quality components, and because it was picked up by several high-profile players whose use of it helped to create a buzz, and hence a demand for it.

The BJF HoneyBee overdrive isn't really much cheaper and has a similar rep.

And I haven't tried either of 'em, as 'trying' means 'buying'. I'd go for the BJF.

However, IMHO the MosFet Fulldrive is a truly glorious pedal with a strat...as is an Analog Man KOTv4 (I bought one), a G2D Creamtone (ditto), etc etc etc. All can do pretty much the same thing, which is to give you a fat, responsive distortion/overdrive that cleans up when you turn the guitar volume down a bit, and gets thicker rather than too loud when you turn the guitar vol up.

As I'm sure you know, most od pedals of whatever price will do this, it's just a matter of spending time tweaking the pedal and amp settings.

The 'Klontroversy' just goes on and on, doesn't it? I read the Zachary gtrs bit about it on his site sometime ago; he just might have been the tiniest bit prejudiced, I think!