Tell me about envelope filters

• Members

OK, I know what an envelope filter is and what it does.

I am finishing up my pedal board I have noticed that I have some left over real estate that I would like to fill up so an envelope filter would be cool to have.

What I would like to know is what to look for. Are their EV's with true bypass? What are some of things I should want in one. What is your favorite one? I don't mind paying good money for a quality unit but I also don't mind having a lower cost unit that does a good job and doesn't rob tone in the off condition.

• Members

DOD is my favorite straight up envelope filter, never cared for EHX filters. Digitech Synth Wah has a couple e.v. modes that are ok plus you get other cool modes, that is what i'm using now. Oh yeah, I miss my old Guyatone Wah Rocker, that was real nice too.

• Members

I have a Tonefactor 442, it's based off the old DOD 440. It's a very musical filter that I find can be used in a lot of situations. If you want decent filter suggestions you should probably give a few more specifics as to what you're after. Envelope filters come in a lot of varieties. Some are subtle and more dry, like mine, others are all balls out dripping wet.

• Members
If you want decent filter suggestions you should probably give a few more specifics as to what you're after. Envelope filters come in a lot of varieties. Some are subtle and more dry, like mine, others are all balls out dripping wet.

I think I would want one with some punch and personality. It wouldn't get a lot of use but when I kick it in I want to know it's there.

• Members

guyatone wah rocker is way cool, that would be a wet one!

i use an old aria awh-1, its only got like 3 sounds in it, but i use all three of therm.

i have wanted the filters with a million knobs, but in the end, they just go quack right? porteus looks great. the 442 as well

hmm i also use the zvex ooh wah with a comp in front of it. its quite burbbly fun for funk stuff

Check out subdecay...the prometheus is pretty popular around here and is a personal favorite.

They are also releasing a new auto filter with tap tempo and envelope/random sample hold modes...it's called the proteus.

This x 1,000.

I love my Prometheus. And the Proteus looks like it's going to be a killer EV too - especially for those who aren't used to messing with filters and who want something super simple and easy to use.

• Members
I think I would want one with some punch and personality. It wouldn't get a lot of use but when I kick it in I want to know it's there.

that is definitely the qtron, it has the biggest punch/warmth and most vocal sound of any filter I've heard.

• Members
love ashville nc, great city.. any good gtr shops in town?

there's a couple...lots of accoustic stuff around here for the old time/bluegrass players...a couple of decent electric shops, but i haven't checked 'em out too much. although i'm coming into a little cash soon, might want to go for a new semi-hollow...thread coming on that, looking for advice...