The Offical Fantasty World Cup Thread.

melx

• Members

exactly.. that's how it is for me. I know where this has gone wrong for me.. I still have all the Strikers I started with and Klose and Van Persie have both been pretty poor but with only 5 transfers I couldn't really afford to change them before they go out... if my strikers had gone out after the groups I think I'd be doing better.

I was in a similar situation... after the group stage, I lost 4 players which were my goalkeeper and 3 defenders; I made 3 substitutions straight away but kept 2 back knowing that I was guaranteed to lose another 2 in this round.

At this point - well, after tonight's match, I think I need to take a chance on picking the semi-finalists, and pick my last two players from them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was in a similar situation... after the group stage, I lost 4 players which were my goalkeeper and 3 defenders; I made 3 substitutions straight away but kept 2 back knowing that I was guaranteed to lose another 2 in this round.

At this point - well, after tonight's match, I think I need to take a chance on picking the semi-finalists, and pick my last two players from them.

I have 1 transfer and a choice... do I put another defender in after this game to replace Bruno Alves of Portugal ... or do I wait until Brazil knock Robin Van Persie out and Argentina knock Klose out? :lol:

dilemma

• Members
I have 1 transfer and a choice... do I put another defender in after this game to replace Bruno Alves of Portugal ... or do I wait until Brazil knock Robin Van Persie out and Argentina knock Klose out?
:lol:

dilemma

And now things are getting interesting...

• Members

And now things are getting interesting...

yup, quarter finals will be sending a lot of players out.. If there's some upsets it could be very interesting... especially if Brazil and Argentina go out, unlikely I'd say but you never know.

• Members
No point faffing around anymore. I've made all my transfers now and taking my chances on who I think are going to make the semis. I'm going for Uruguay vs Brazil and Argentina vs Spain semis
:thu:

What?? You're in first, play it safe!!

• Members

It's a calculated gamble. I'm spreading the risk over the four teams. I think at this stage, you may as well take a chance, with only eight teams remaining.

True, but now I'm tempted to go heavy with Germany just to counter your actions... Mr. First Place.

• Members
True, but now I'm tempted to go heavy with Germany just to counter your actions... Mr. First Place.

If I was in your shoes, that's what I'd do too ;):thu:

It's getting to the really interesting stage now. Comes down to a straight forward gamble. Whoever keeps the most players in after the quarters, will have a great chance of winning. Good luck everybody!

• Members

True, but now I'm tempted to go heavy with Germany just to counter your actions...
Mr. First Place.

That's a brave move; 3 Germans...

Out of all the quarter-finals, the Argentina-Germany match has to be the hardest to call.

A lot of us could easily lose 3-5 players in this round.

• Members

That's a brave move; 3 Germans...

Out of all the quarter-finals, the Argentina-Germany match has to be the hardest to call.

A lot of us could easily lose 3-5 players in this round.

Absolutely... I have Messi too, but since it seems the top teams are favoring Argentina, gotta be bold.

• Members

Slightly off topic but....

Did anyone hear this rumour going around about Steven Gerrad?

Seems as though a story is gonna break this weekend - gagging order didn't work!

Seems as though Gerrard has got his wife's sister pregnant. There were rumours it was a 16 yr old but now seems certain it's the sister in-law. So JT kicks up a fuss cos he lost the captain's armband over that thing with Bridge's missus, and the camp was divided - some backing Gerrard and some backing JT. That's why it seemed there was no leadership, and also why JT came out with that press statement too. Also accounts for a lot of stuff going on at Liverpool over the last season, no leadership and noone showing any real faith in Gerrard. Plus he'd go celebrate a goal with the fans first but his facial expression changed when the other players came over. His house is up for sale and looks certain he'll be leaving Liverpool anyway.

I got that from my mate and then a few people at work have heard similar things... the only crap is, his wife doesnt have a sister....

England.... :facepalm:

• Members
Slightly off topic but....

Did anyone hear this rumour going around about Steven Gerrad?

Seems as though a story is gonna break this weekend - gagging order didn't work!

Seems as though Gerrard has got his wife's sister pregnant. There were rumours it was a 16 yr old but now seems certain it's the sister in-law. So JT kicks up a fuss cos he lost the captain's armband over that thing with Bridge's missus, and the camp was divided - some backing Gerrard and some backing JT. That's why it seemed there was no leadership, and also why JT came out with that press statement too. Also accounts for a lot of stuff going on at Liverpool over the last season, no leadership and noone showing any real faith in Gerrard. Plus he'd go celebrate a goal with the fans first but his facial expression changed when the other players came over. His house is up for sale and looks certain he'll be leaving Liverpool anyway.

I got that from my mate and then a few people at work have heard similar things... the only crap is, his wife doesnt have a sister....

England....
:facepalm:

I've heard that the girl in question is the 16 year old daughter of Ronnie Whelan (ex-Liverpool player)...
and that Gerrard's plans to leave Liverpool are also due to his wife (allegedly?) having an affair with a Derby County player.

But yeah:

England.... :facepalm:

• Members

Nah neither do i but this gaggin order was supposed to be purely for the world cup...

It would be a {censored}ing disgrace if this was the reason why England played so badly. Seriously, scrap the lot of that first team bar Rooney and give the under 21s a chance.

• Members

Seriously, scrap the lot of that first team bar Rooney and give the under 21s a chance.

given that most of the big name players in the squad are 29+ and regularly under-perform for England, that doesn't seem too unlikely.

• Members

Awesome recap of England's World Cup from ESPN.com:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/blog?entryID=5334407&name=offtheball&cc=5901&ver=us

Americans will never completely understand how crap it is, most of the time, to be English. We might have cute accents and be good at cocktail parties. But we are mostly losers.

Self-depricating humor FTW

• Members
I've picked players for Uruguay v Brazil and Spain v Argentina semis. Would like to see Ghana make it to the semis, with this World Cup being in Africa, but I think Uruguay will be a little bit too clever for them.

I'm going for wins for Uruguay*, Brazil and Spain...

* I'd quite like Ghana to go through, but I have some Uruguayans in my team.

I still can't pick a winner from the Argentina-Germany match; neither team has looked that strong defensively, so it could go either way.

• Members

I'm going for wins for Uruguay*, Brazil and Spain...

* I'd quite like Ghana to go through, but I have some Uruguayans in my team.

...and so do many others, that's why I said I'd like Ghana to win because I don't! ;)

Archived