Korg M1R or Roland JV-1080? Opinions anyone?

• Members

I'm tracking some 1080's on ebay (along with some xv 3080's & 5050's) and then I saw an M1R. Any opinions on which might be the better unit, Korg or Roland? I owned an M1 "back in the day" and didnt' mind the sounds. Roland units seem to have more features/voices.

• Members

Thanks.

I have a Kurz and an Alesis - two of the best sounding pianos syths ever (IMO) - so I'm pretty set for pianos.

Is either unit "easier" to program/modify? I've heard Roland documentation sucks out loud. This is a hobby for me, not an avocation. I don't want to spend hours "learning" the system.

• Members

I tried Laney AH50. Half-decent, not enough power in bass area. But I think it will do first hand, then I'm saving up for AH200, which works great! All my sounds were exactly as I made them and monitored over headphones. That's good, and the price ain't too big (around 550$) for 160W and a very clean output!

• Members

5050 or 3080?

Personally I'd prefer the 3080 because you get double the polyphony, accepts both SRJV and SRX expansion boards (the 5050 takes only SRX), and it's much easier to edit from the front panel.

The 5050 runs at 44.1 khz and has more patches and performances. Some claim it's cleaner but I've never been able to actually hear a sonic difference once you get them both running through speakers. Maybe it's my ears that need cleaning but I don't think so.

• Members

I've owned all the JV & XV modules and a few XP synths too. For your money, the XV3080 is the best buy at the moment IMO, simply for the expansion possibilities as said earlier. Most SR-JV boards are dirt cheap on Ebay and give you loads more patches and waveforms.

I've not particularly noticed any sonic differences between the XV5050 & XV3080 either.

I got the M1R once and kept it a week. The JV/XV's are miles ahead in sound capabilities.

• Members

Lizard,

Here are some experiments I did with the XV-5050 in 2003. Maybe it will help you decide whether you like this rack or not. I never had the time nor the inspiration to compose anything serious with it. I miss it :(

I don't know about the other synths you mentioned but I personally think you can't possibly go wrong with the XV-5050 due to its sheer amount of patches, the variety and the quality of most instruments it provides.

These audio experiments were recorded using the XV-5050 only. Raw/factory presets were used. No tweaking.

Casimodo.mp3

Dance.mp3

Dark.mp3

Dissidenten.mp3

Istikhbar.mp3

Memories.mp3

Nostalgia.mp3

Remote.mp3

Sad.mp3

SantaCruz.mp3

Skeleton.mp3

Snitra.mp3

SpaceWiz.mp3

Weird.mp3

• Members

1. If you buy the M1 you are insane.

2. Please refer to number 1

3. They stopped selling M1s for a REASON. They can no longer compete (uless you have many synths and really want that M1 organ sound...hehehe)

4. The 1080 is a workhorse that sounds like a workhorse...

5. The 3080 OR 5080 (the 5080 dropped in price like the space shuttle) are noticeably better sounding than the 1080. I own a 2080 maxed out- I use it when the other 8 SYNTHS don't have what I need. Its always got the sound you are looking for, it just might not be that good.

6. no clue on the 5050. After the 5080 bombed I stopped paying attention. Thats also part of WHY they released the 5050- you couldn't sell 5080s... They overpriced them.

• Members

These audio experiments were recorded using the XV-5050 only. Raw/factory presets were used. No tweaking.

Damnit. Sounds so good. I'm currently on XP-30 with 5 cards and JD-990 + Vintage. I can't justify getting a XV-5050. :mad: In fact i recently sold XV-5080.

• Members

1. If you buy the M1 you are insane.

+1

I don't understand how could he even put in comparison M1 vs JV-1080. M1 doesn't even have a filter resonance - and has a stupid LFO that resets with each key press - totally useless for filter sweeps. JV-1080 has a killer resonant filter, 4 of them to be exact (LFP, BPF, HPF, PKG). Has both 12dB and 24dB filter modes. A {censored}load of waveforms. Ring modulator, FXM, Booster, variable waveform gain, 2 LFOs with all kind of waveforms, matrix modulation, analog feel, 16 patches in layer, 64 poly, etc.

M-1 is a fckin toy compared to that.

• Members

Well, M1 has its own charm, surely. But it's not worth buying it in rack form when you can have it plus Wavestation with ALL expansion cards (that are nowadays rare as {censored}) in KLC for a fraction of the price you would pay for both synths IRL. Now that's a deal.

• Members

I have a JV-1080 and love every bit of it. You really get a crapload of sounds for what you spend, on eBay. I was lucky enough to get the Expansion Bay maxed out (seller didn't even know).

:)

• Members

Hi Don,

Did the XV-5080 sound like most of the presets in the above recordings when you had it?

Hard to answer. Some waveforms are 32k others are 44.1k, so it's kind of mix of "dark" (the old JV sound) and the new clear XV-5050 / Fantom sound. Many users complained about the loss of bottom end on 5050 due to use of 44.1k waves.

Archived