Ibanez AD99 Analog Delay

• Members

Savarin, I assume that "able to go 360 around" means that yours self-oscillated?

Anyway, your clip was cool but it sounded like the trim pots might have been tweaked too far because the repeats sounded a bit hissy.

Also, the glitchy part reminded me of the square wave setting on an EHX Memory boy.

Can you get close to infinite repeats with the AD99?

• Members

I suppose it self-oscillates, but its very brief. Only when it reaches max and your rolling clock-wise to the beginning(or going minimum to max counter clock-wise). It is a bit hissy when you dial the feedback and level at the 10, but overall their is hardly any noticeable tone loss. Can't do infinite repeats, but I haven't ever missed with the trim pots.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I love my AD99. My first, and still my number 1 analog delay, and actually my main delay. Great subtle delay. Seriously, don't mess it up trying to make it self-oscilate. Buy a Mooer Ana Echo for 50 bucks instead, keep the lovely sound of the AD99 intact. Trimpots are cool and all, but your AD99 may never be the same if you can't get it back to the exact same settings it had.

• Members

^ Good point, but I do know what i'm getting into. I've done this before to a few pedals.

If I liked it as is, I would leave it, but I feel like it has potential to sound better. I have tweaked a bunch of analog delays by ear and you're right. it's definitely not something to half-ass or do while having some drinks.

I've also read about a few guys improving this pedal with a small tweak and once I find out which are the clock and bias trims, I will definitely steer clear of them. Thanks bro

also, pics added.

• Members

I finally just got one of these today.
:thu:
Sounds great but can anyone help with pointing out which trimpots do what?

I'm looking to make it self-oscillate..

ad99inside.jpg

edit: Here are some that I just took. I marked the settings with a sharpie as is before I touch anything.

102_0435_zps23b0addb.jpg
102_0447_zps6bd044d1.jpg

the internal trimmers can get it to 400-450ms and will make it self oscillate

just slightly tweak the internal repeats trimpot and you will get it to self oscilalte

tweaking the trimpots will also add hiss, clock noise, whiny noise

you probably want to recalibrate to original setting

• Members

hmmm, one is for feedback, one for delay time (longer repeats, but also darker, grittier), one for balance and one for mojo (perhaps it's clock noise) I guess

you'll just have to experiment as I don't know which is which

the slightest tweak can make a huge difference

I did mess with trimpots on my DM-3, but it was easy because the trimpot functions are printed on the board

I just played guitar while tweaking to hear what I was doing or you could use a little soundloop

• Members

:)

Yeah I wanted to avoid the whole experimentation thing if I could.

I really don't see too much out there on this pedal.

Heres the schematic if that might help someone to help me and anyone else looking for this info in the future.

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Delay%20Echo%20and%20Samplers/Ibanez%20AD99.pdf

• Members

Soulsonic does a mod on the Ad-99

DirkHendrik (who used to post here and now resides on well that other forum we cannnot name but you already posted it there so ) could probably tell you which is which as he did the schematic

or just email DirkHendrik and ask him

• Members

I love my AD99. My first, and still my number 1 analog delay, and actually my main delay. Great subtle delay. Seriously, don't mess it up trying to make it self-oscilate. Buy a Mooer Ana Echo for 50 bucks instead, keep the lovely sound of the AD99 intact. Trimpots are cool and all, but your AD99 may never be the same if you can't get it back to the exact same settings it had.

This. The AD99 was my first analog delay. Still have it. It works SOOO well as a subtle delay, it would be a crime to muck with it to try and get oscillations. GAWD, I wish the jacks were not reversed and it had a smaller footprint though!

• Members

The feedback sensitivity trim is labeled "SR4." It won't throw the cal off if you tweak it.

And here we go. Thank you again, sir for your help to the masses.

So, SR4 = repeats.

There are also the SR1 (5K) , SR2 (10K), and SR3 (20K) trims.

Now to find out which one is delay time.

• Members

And here we go. Thank you again, sir for your help to the masses.

So, SR4 = repeats.

There are also the SR1 (5K) , SR2 (10K), and SR3 (20K) trims.

Now to find out which one is delay time.

SR1 controls the overall clock frequency range (thus delay time range).

SR2 controls the BBD bias.

SR3 controls the BBD output balance.

Archived