Nocaster vs. Telecaster - differences?

IRG

• Members

Not sure I know what the differences are, I believe the term nocaster comes from when Fender had to change names from Broadcaster to Telecaster and there was a year (more?) in which it had no name, and I think the neck on the Nocaster was thicker than the Telecaster, but other than that, what are the differences? I'm also wondering about modern day Fender CS versions of their Nocaster vs. telecaster, again, with their reissues, is it mainly the neck? Anything else? tia.

• Members

It was due to legal action from Gretsch, already having the Broadkaster. They just took the name off the headstocks, and became the Nocasters, and later taking up the name Telecaster. I believe the Fender Nocasters didnt have the conventional tone control.

• Members

It was due to legal action from Gretsch, already having the Broadkaster. They just took the name off the headstocks, and became the Nocasters, and later taking up the name Telecaster. I believe the Fender Nocasters didnt have the conventional tone control.

this is correct.

nocasters just said "Fender" on headstock.

have BIG THICK nearly 1" thick necks.

have an extra cap in circuit, neck position tone is DEEP :eek: too deep for most.

it's still a Tele.....:thu:

• Members

I assume your talking about a CS nocaster vs a 52 telecaster. If so:

The neck is thicker

The pick ups a touch hotter, they were originally a lap steel pick up

finish color is different.

And i'm sure better wood is used on the nocaster.

I think both originally had the old school wiring with the muffled neck pick up.

I'm sure there are tons of variation with each model...

Archived