Noob question.

Idunno

• Members

Looking to get an acoustic piano (no electronics) in an upright style. My kid is taking lessons now and is using one of those Casio Chord keyboards to practice with at home. Anyone here suggest what brand to be searching out? I have a budget of $5K to work with. Thanks for your help.

• Members

thanks. I think all you are likely to get for your money either way is a good second hand imported yamaha or kawai upright maybe new if you are lucky. You will have to remember to factor in delivery etc. Try to negotiate a tuning contract for the first year as your piano adapts to the humidity and conditions of your house. You can expect to have to have it tuned say 3 to 4 times in the first year then twice yearly afterwards.

If you ask at the link on my first post and ask about technicians in your area you can then price up how much you will have to spend yearly to keep your piano in top nick.

I would also recommend an electric second piano as nothing can be worse for a new starter than having people listen and the piano to be audible to the neighborhood if the windows are open. (A piano sound travels far)this could do more harm than good. I think the privias come with speakers inbuilt as well as a good piano type action so they are a good investment it also allows your son to practice in peace then show you the results of his labours when he is ready.

tris

• Members

hi go here if it's acoustic and not electronic that you are looking at
. FWIW I would look at spending $4000 on an acoustic upright and the other $1000 on say a Casio privia for when you don't want the sound of a piano echoing through the house I know that it is what a lot of people do.

Thanks for the link. After I signed off my wife did a little searching and came up with something altogether different than just an acoustic piano. She thinks it would be the better all around instrument. It's a Yamaha CLP-280 Clavi-something-or-other. I don't really care as long as they're happy with it. The description at Yamaha's site sounds cool enough. Ever seen/played one of these?

I'm in Florida. We don't open windows here so I'm not too worried about collateral damage to the neighbor's ears. The inside of my house is one big echo chamber though. My acoustic guitar needs no amplification to be heard throughout the house. I expect there will need to be some rules about playing addressed.

• Members

hi the clavi's are ok instruments again if you go to pianoworld forums and ask you will get a more informed response as the people over there are more likely to own one.

You can use headphones with these so sound should not be a problem but it all comes down to that all important key feel which is such a personal thing that you will have to go and try one to see if it feel's ok.

I will say that if you can get a decent upright as well that would be a better all round choice as if you have the room there is nothing like playing a real piano it's better for training the fingers and building hand strength.

In your budget there are plenty of 2'nd hand weighted keyboards casio privia, Roland rd series yamaha cp series etc and still leave enough change for an upright.

tristian

Archived