whats the best fuzz for doom metal, or stoner rock?

• Members

I use the Swollen Pickle Mk.II. There's always the Muff. In my humble opinion the best fuzz to be had is one of the following:

Swollen Pickle

Barber Trifecta

Musket Fuzz

My suggestion is to get a cheaper fuzz and see if you like it. You can usually get used Muffs pretty cheap.

Guest Guest

Hm. I would have said FZ-2 before FZ-3, for sure. FZ-2 is a superfuzz variant.

Swollen Pickle would be a good start, too.

Guest Guest

I just prefer the FZ-3 myself. I like the boost function on the FZ-2 though.

I really like the FZ-3, too; it has more of a Maestro voicing, to my ears. Garage-y.

• Members

I play in standard tuning.

all wrong

bWSZYUoO7rE

I will agree that big bands usually end up using cheap fuzzes because they're cheap, easy to replace and something they're used to. Its more about how many 4x12s and bass heads you're playing through, than what fuzz pedal you have. I've seen a few awesome awesome stoner/doom bands just using the clean channel on an amp, some kind of bluesbreaker or rat distortion combo. Its also relatively easy to build a fuzz, i've built a couple booteeks myself for around $60 each which can be easily modded [replacing caps / resistors / adding pots] to give a pretty wide range of sounds.

• Members

Sovtek Big Muff (Black, Green, or Civil War Russian)

EHX Big Muff USA

Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKII

Earthbound SuperCollider

GGG Tuned Big Muff Kit

BOSS FZ-2 (clone of a SuperFuzz)

Wattson Classic or SuperFuzz

Fuzz Face (germanium or silicon depending on your tastes)

Fulltone Ultimate Octave (both a Fuzz and Octave/Fuzz in one pedal)

Fender Blender

Foxx Tone Machine

And +1 to tuning down to at least D

• Members

In my opinion, you don't even necessarily need a fuzz. Tuning down to at least D, as already mentioned, will help. The other biggest factor to me is to either use your neck pickup, or to turn the tone on your bridge pickup down a bit. If you do that, most pedals with a fairly healthy amount of gain will work just fine.

• Members

I have a tele that I keep tuned down a whole step and I find that this darkens the sound enough to use a bridge pickup alone. sounds pretty good.

I use a barber trifecta which is cool for an old-school stoner sound, but my russian big muff sounds more like these newer "doom" bands. $15 worth of toan, bro.

that said, I'm playing through an old bf fender combo amp, so, if I was serious about playing that type of music, I'd have to get a 4x12 to be cool.

any decent guitar -> big muff -> any respectable loud amp (SS or tube) -> 4x12

Archived