NPD- Vintage EHX Muff Fuzz!

pheonix

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
looks good!

have you picked up a double muff yet?

That was my first EHX pedal- I've had mine for about 6 years. Love it- I think I prefer the sound of Muff "fuzzes" than I do Big Muffs. I think I just like mids! Heres a group photo:

2010-09-01%2020%3A14%3A24%20%2B0100.jpg

I'm planning on doing an uber comparison video asap with the Muff Fuzz, Muff Overdrive, Double Muff, 1974 Little Muff, and I do have something really cool that I'm waiting for to top my off collection with! I might have the Big Muff in there just for comparisons sake- everyone knows what a Big Muff sounds like.

• Members

how's the bypass on your older ones? the lbm that i had was pretty awful; you could still hear some muff when bypassed.

Yeah, its pretty bad. Luckily I've got a true bypass looper so its not too much of an issue for me, but if I didn't it would bug the hell out of me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Just got this!

Photo%20Dec%2012%2C%209%2031%2045%20PM.j

Epic comparison video as soon as I get 5 minutes spare!

Also, can anyone help me date this one? The numbers on the pot are: 1346727 147220.

woah, that is old...

look at the back of the pot to get a rough date 4th and 5th numbers are the date... 1967? !!???

• Members

woah, that is old...

look at the back of the pot to get a rough date 4th and 5th numbers are the date... 1967? !!???

Yep - those knobs indicate an older unit, early 70s for sure. Can't say for sure that it's a 60s unit, but it definitely could be from the triangle muff era pedal.

j-mascis-big-muff-pi-collection.jpg

See third from the left on the second lowest row, although some of those Ram's Heads look like they have these knobs too. I'd say it's at least pre-1975 mate.

• Members

woah, that is old...

Thats exactly what I thought, but that seems like a very early EHX- does 1967 make sense in terms of EHX history? I suppose the pots could of been made in 1967 but not used until later.

• Members

Thats exactly what I thought, but that seems like a very early EHX- does 1967 make sense in terms of EHX history? I suppose the pots could of been made in 1967 but not used until later.

I'm not totally sure, but I can see what I can dig up...

I got this today too.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2715977-New-EHX-Day!!

gotta love the old ehx, 1977 that one.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

EHX was founded in 1968.. LPB-1 came out that year.. so the pedal can't be '67.... but it is very early I'd say .. could be 1970 or something.

well the plugin version is from very early in the EHX history.

but I would guess that your pedal is from '71.

• Members

Sounds great! I've been digging my Double Muff on the single setting lately. Sounds much like that. Really good sound. The only thing that annoys me about it is that it's not quite 'overdrive' and not quite 'fuzz' (by my definition). A great sound nonetheless. :thu:

Archived