NPD- Vintage EHX Muff Fuzz!

pheonix

• Members

This forum costs me a lot....

Thanks for the tip off EHXfender!! I'll post a demo and comparison video as soon as I get it (hopefully within a couple of weeks). I'm curious to see how different it sounds to the muff fuzz- the circuit looks quite different.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry I'm quite new to all the different types of Muffs (
:cop:
), what does the IC mean? Is it the certain chip they used?

integrated component, as opposed to a transistor

a lot of purists insist on transistors for dirt

EHX started using ICs for the Muffs around 1977 - 1978. My Little Muff Pi is also an IC version.

• Members

Should be interesting! I'll do a comparison video of the muff fuzz, little muff pi, little big muff and double muff.

My excuse for buying a 3rd is just getting a new job (at least that's what I'm telling my self!)

• Members

So wait...you have to flip it on with your hands?
:idk:
I don't care much for fuzz but that's cuz I haven't had the opportunity to play with one. Is that what the "boost" and "off" switch is? I know
:facepalm:

Yeah, the boost switch is the on off switch. This is obviously useless on a pedal board, but i use a loop switcher, so I just keep it on and toggle it on and off with the looper.

• Members

NPD- I've just got the Little Big Muff!

You're right- it sounds completely different to the muff fuzz- a lot closer to a Big Muff (which would make sense, given the name). I've dated it to 1975. I'll do a massive comparison demo video asap!

• Members

NPD- I've just got the Little Big Muff!

You're right- it sounds completely different to the muff fuzz- a lot closer to a Big Muff (which would make sense, given the name). I've dated it to 1975. I'll do a massive comparison demo video asap!

It's a big muff circuit board sideways in the case... the gain is fixed at 'full' and the tone knob is replaced with a two way switch.... :thu:

• Members

It's a big muff circuit board sideways in the case... the gain is fixed at 'full' and the tone knob is replaced with a two way switch....
:thu:

Thanks for that- I was having trouble finding out any info at all- if you google "electro harmonix big muff pi" it just shows up the recent reissue. Good to know!!!

• Members

Thanks for that- I was having trouble finding out any info at all- if you google "electro harmonix big muff pi" it just shows up the recent reissue. Good to know!!!

if you look for the number on the board it will match one of the Big Muff's, what you bought is basically a vintage big muff for

• Members

Nice. I wanted one of those for a long while (I usually run muffs with the sustain cranked) but from the demos I've heard the tone switch seems to be far too skewed in each direction. Rather than being a choice between say 11 and 1 on a regular tone knob it seems to sound like min and max (ie too wooley and too bright). Is your unit like this?

• Members

Nice. I wanted one of those for a long while (I usually run muffs with the sustain cranked) but from the demos I've heard the tone switch seems to be far too skewed in each direction. Rather than being a choice between say 11 and 1 on a regular tone knob it seems to sound like min and max (ie too wooley and too bright). Is your unit like this?

Yeah, mines like this too. It is a shame that the tone isn't from 11o clock and on 1 like you mentioned.

I've just recorded a little demo, you can hear the over dullness and brightness quite well. It sounds amazing on bass though!

[YOUTUBE]tIywaPJARKU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

It's arrived!!

2010-09-01%2020%3A11%3A26%20%2B0100.jpg

I've only had a quick go and could only have my amp on very quietly, but it sounds completely different to the Muff Fuzz- it seems to have about half of the gain. I've just got a EHX Muff Overdrive (the recent XO reissue) for comparison sakes (and it cost me

Archived