NPD- Vintage EHX Muff Fuzz!

pheonix

• Members

I've just got it and I'm still salivating how good this thing sounds! I thought it would suck :poke:

Mobile%20Photo%2011%20Aug%202010%2023%20

I've written a bit more about it here, and heres a little video I recorded (edit- anyone know why it's not showing up?? I've used "embed video" on youtube and the Youtube tags. EDIT There you go!!)

[YOUTUBE]JZYgYN0Vmz4[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That looks amazing, I think I'll try and nab that.

We just dismantled the pedal at work (I'll add some photo soon, and we've got a list of the exact parts)- we dated the pot as a CTS September 1978, so the pedal is probably a 1979.

• Members

Sweet score !!!

I believe that the older Muff Fuzz units had different different components than the later units from the mid to late 70s. It would be interesting to compare them side by side. Not sure what year you have there, but I would reckon it was made anywhere from about 1973 - 1977. The oldest units had plain black font and a smaller chassis, IIRC.

I don't have the plug-in, but I have a Muff Fuzz circuit in these 2 pedals:

3407303442_fd0ef4cc1c.jpg

2968648694_435de1e8b1.jpg

• Members

Sweet score !!!

I believe that the older Muff Fuzz units had different different components than the later units from the mid to late 70s. It would be interesting to compare them side by side. Not sure what year you have there, but I would reckon it was made anywhere from about 1973 - 1977. The oldest units had plain black font and a smaller chassis, IIRC.

I don't have the plug-in, but I have a Muff Fuzz circuit in these 2 pedals:

3407303442_fd0ef4cc1c.jpg

2968648694_435de1e8b1.jpg

Those pedals are awesome!! What does the slider on the LBM do?? If I see one of those come up on I'll going to snap it up immediately.

Date wise, the guitar tech at work dated the CTS pot to September 1978, so the pedal was probably made in '79, making it quite a late version (unless it was replaced, which I doubt. Although, the jacks have been changed as well as the battery clip.)

• Members

Those pedals are awesome!! What does the slider on the LBM do?? If I see one of those come up on I'll going to snap it up immediately.

Date wise, the guitar tech at work dated the CTS pot to September 1978, so the pedal was probably made in '79, making it quite a late version (unless it was replaced, which I doubt. Although, the jacks have been changed as well as the battery clip.)

So it sounds like your plug-in might have the same circuit as mine, which sounds awesome IMO!

The slider just disconnects the battery so it doesn't drain. Not too exciting, but pretty useful.

• Members

So it sounds like your plug-in might have the same circuit as mine, which sounds awesome IMO!

The slider just disconnects the battery so it doesn't drain. Not too exciting, but pretty useful.

That's actually pretty handy, not having to unlpug it ever time you're done with it.

They do sound awesome- I'm so surprised at actually how good this thing sounds. I'm surprised that there aren't any "classic" songs using a Muff Fuzz- I think this thing sounds waaaayy better than a Fuzz Face!

• Members

That does sound very good. There was an early 70s one with the boring black print on the bay a few months ago but it had a male input jack (rather than the male output jack you usually see on these old ones) so you could plug it directly into your guitar and control the volume on the fly, but the seller wanted US$200 for it :rolleyes:

Archived