Short-Cut Needed to Ronnie Wood's Faces' Tone

Spin Out

• Members

I've just recently realised that the guitar tone that comes closest to the holy grain tone in my head, is Ron Wood's on 'I'm Losing You'. I can get close to it on my PRS Mira into my Cornford Harlequin but it never manages to quite get that dirty. I'm not using any pedals so is there any pedal that might help get me there? Tubescreamer? some kind of fuzz? (different guitar and amp altogether?):confused:

m4PXMCCTMwM

JtqF0qBqzZo

He's using a Dan Armstrong plexi in that video, but I've also heard an interview with him here he mentioned using a Zemaitis and it being the guitar he calls his "Stay With Me" guitar. Amps they were using around that time were Ampegs - V's and SVT's, although I think I caught a glimpse of a miked up Princeton in that video...

That sound is a holy grail tone for me too... the closest I've been able to get to it was humbuckers into a Catalinbread SFT, a Fish & Chips EQ, and then into my Princeton Amp.

• Members

Another thing to bear in mind, particularly with this video, is that the sound quality is poor - even his vocals are distorting a bit, so this will influence the guitar sound - it might have been cleaner at the time.

• Members

The sound on the record certainly isn't an Ampeg - it always sounded to me like a small cranked 6V6-based amp, but not a tweed as they are too smooth and gainy. A SF Princeton is a good guess IMO.

My Fulltone '69 into a clean amp gets close.

• 9 years later...
  • Members
On 8/20/2010 at 7:28 PM, who235 said:

According to various sources on the interwebz, Stay With Me was in Open E.

I can't remember where I first heard that, but I've always played it that way and it has always sounded pretty right on.

It's E - I recently learned it for a gig.

Archived