Your EHX Small Stone thoughts?

gambit

• Members

I think i might be about to order a 'big-box' USA small stone based on the fact that the top-mounted jacks will be neater and easier to position amongst other pedals :facepalm:

i have a russian and a nano already.. i'd quite like to be able compare them all side by side too, because it's been a while since i had the non-nano USA version. maybe i'll record a video of my tweaking..

anyway, as far as all the various small stones, which do you prefer? here's my basic rundown.. all based on shallow mode and rate pretty slow.. 1/4 or thereabouts.

USA:

- Had a volme drop issue (this was about 8 years ago though).

- Does a weird compressed/filtered phasing thing on higher frequencies.

Sovtek Black:

- Ticks at the end of the cycle

- Bypass is pretty poor

- Way too big.

- Knocks off that high end phasing from the USA for a more 'vintage' phase.

Nano:

- Bypass is the best of all of them.

- Size is great.

- Phasing of the higher freqencies is halfway between the USA and Sovtek. kind of lacks mojo on the sweep though.

All - your guitar signal gets completely effected.. sucked through the swirl.. this is why i put my modulations in a dry/wet bypass loop set to 50/50.

if they just put a depth knob or a wet level/mix knob on the nano :rolleyes: it's not like they can't fit two knobs on it surely?!

• Members

I've tried all the Small Stones except the Nano, and my favorite is the version 3. No volume drop on mine, a well-balanced phase, and not noisy at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-Stone-Phase-Shifter-Vintage-1980s-pedal-EH-/140452358729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b39cea49#ht_500wt_1154

http://www.pedalarea.com/small_stone.htm

• Members

I've tried all the Small Stones except the Nano, and my favorite is the version 3. No volume drop on mine, a well-balanced phase, and not noisy at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-Stone-Phase-Shifter-Vintage-1980s-pedal-EH-/140452358729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b39cea49#ht_500wt_1154

http://www.pedalarea.com/small_stone.htm

i've never really considered the vintage ones.. i always presumed they'd have a bad bypass/volume drop etc.. and no LED :(

how does the polyphase fit into all this aswell? is it digital? or just very un-small-stone-like?

• Members

my favorite is definitely the V2.

smallstone.jpg

to me this one is the complete package of super thick phasing, little volume drop, and decent bypass.

I love the sound of the Green Russian but there is definitely a volume drop in that one and the bypass is pretty bad. But with the phase on it's super thick, like you can chew it and it cuts the highs a bit which is cool.

I would try to find a V2 or V3 on ebay. they come up pretty cheap actually.

• Members

^ that's definitely the sexiest looking version :)

so, i just had my ebay offer accepted on the USA version 4.. will be interesting to test it out again after so many years.

i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a version 2/3 on ebay aswell. i think they go for around the same price as a new small stone does these days.

• Members

I have a USA reissue that I love/hate. To me it's the perfect phaser sound. But...

It has 'the volume drop,' but I run it before my distortion most of the time which leads to the next problem...

It has a really bad bypass. When using distortion I can hear swirling in the background (when off), and when clean on the depth up mode (my fav) it bleeds through an effects the clean guitar (super wak!!!)!!!

Sounds great.... pain in the ass. I think I'm going to go Moog.

• Members

Owned a Black Russian (bought it from Natarel) and here are my impressions:

-"blanket-over-amp" style tone suck

-volume drop so bad the pedal more or less doubles as a mute pedal in a band

-most gorgeous phasing sound I've ever heard

I always had to kick in a clean boost whenever I'd use it. :lol: Trying to find a "silver" box Stone right now, so if you're selling, hit me up. :)

• Members

I have one of the USA reissue versions. It had an LED, but it the switch wasn't a 3PDT so I'm assuming it wasn't true bypass? I couldn't hear it when it was off so I'm assuming it wasn't sucking tone. Anyways, it the phase effect awesome but it did have the volume drop and it did totally obscure the rest of the amps tone.

However, I found Moosappotomus's page with the univibe, etc. mods. Of course I had to to try them all... and now it doesn't work anymore :cry:. I am slowly reversing it back to stock, but it's tough because EHX circuit boards are so cheap the leads start pulling up if you heat them up more than one or two times.

• Members

I've had both the USA reissue and nano.

I was surprised that they actually sounded quite different. I personally prefer the big box version. However, it adds some weird, irregular sweeps with the rate knob set past 12 and the "Color" switch up. But I liked it that way anyway. The AnalogMan mod adds a trimmer on the circuit board where you can control the feedback of the LFO if I recall.

smallstonemodpots.jpg

• 10 years later...

Archived