jshaffer20

How do you tell if an inductor is bad in a wah?

Yeah, makes sense. And, it does sound like the switch may be the issue.

I think so too. I hope it is since I have a new one coming LOL. I hope I can get it modded to see how it sounds. I might just stick it on my board if it can compete with my Dime crybaby:cool:

Just another word of advice, while you're in there you might as well replace the electrolytic capacitors if you have them handy. There's a 220uF power supply filter cap and a 4u7. The 4u7 caps are a fairly common failure point--when they go the wah thins out and sounds like a volume change--so changing this 10 year old electrolytic now may be a good idea especially if the wah has just been sitting for years. The originals used a bipolar 4uF cap here, but anything between 4u7 and 10uF should work. I believe Teese uses a 6u8 in the RMC wahs.

Just another word of advice, while you're in there you might as well replace the electrolytic capacitors if you have them handy. There's a 220uF power supply filter cap and a 4u7. The 4u7 caps are a fairly common failure point--when they go the wah thins out and sounds like a volume change--so changing this 10 year old electrolytic now may be a good idea especially if the wah has just been sitting for years. The originals used a bipolar 4uF cap here, but anything between 4u7 and 10uF should work. I believe Teese uses a 6u8 in the RMC wahs.

Thats good to know. I will try to replace those as well

Well, I got my components today and starting messign with it. I put the switch in, wired in the LED. And still, NOTHING:mad: I get the bypassed signal perfect, but as soon as I switch it on, its gone. The led lights up but thats it. I know the pot is working because I can hear it making the "wah" sound but there is no guitar signal coming through. Its like listening to very faint static making my wah sound as I move the pot. The inductor is still reading 17.5 ohms. I also changed out the 220 uF filter cap and the 4.7u and it is still acting the same. What the heck is going on? There arent too many components on the board to go bad. where should I look next?:facepalm:

Also, can you post a picture of the switch and PCB?

Yeah, I can do that. I will have to do it later tonight. I have somewhere to be in a bit. I just did a continuity test on all the points I could find and everything seems ok. I will def. put some pics up. I am powering it from a 1 spot adapter as well as a 9v, both are the same result. What should the transistor values be?

I know the pot is working because I can hear it making the "wah" sound but there is no guitar signal coming through. Its like listening to very faint static making my wah sound as I move the pot.

It sounds like you are losing the signal somewhere between the switch and the 68K input resistor. Double check where you soldered the new circuit input wire. Pics would help greatly, as has already been mentioned.

You have the blue and white wires reversed on the switch.

That was it!!!!:facepalm::lol: Its working now. I am gonna get the rest of my components installed and put the LED in and I will let you know how it sounds!:thu:

I got it all back together and have been playing with it for a little bit. It sounds different for sure. I dont know if I will like it well enough to make it my main wah yet but I need to test it more. I cant turn my amp up to any kind of volume until tomorrow so I will wait and see. I have been using a Dime CFH for a long time and this one probably wont beat it. The CFH is insanely versatile. Thanks for all of the help fellas!!!!!:thu:

Hi guys. I have a pretty basic knowledge about electronics.

I'm trying to repair my gcb95. When activated it's kind of acting like a volume pedal, not really making that wha wha sound.

I read this post and took out the inductor. When testing it with the multimeter for ohms I dont get a reading. I think the wire is cut right?

Is that enough evidence to get a replacement? How likely a new inductor will solve the problem? Thanks!

I've fixed a few over the last four decades...sometimes it is the pot, sometimes the inductor, occasionally, on real old ones a cap goes south...glad it is working!