help with effects power supply: X V-Amp

Humbababa

• Members

Hi all,

I'm a total noob when it comes to gear and electronics in general, so please forgive what are probably pretty stupid questions. I have a Behringer X V-Amp (this thing), which I just pulled out of storage, and I can't find the AC adapter for it. It's supposed to be a 9V, 600ma supply, and I don't have anything like that in my giant box of wall warts. So, the dumb questions:

a) Can I use any 9V adapter that can put out 600ma or more?

b) Since I don't actually have anything like (a) on hand anyway, how can I get a replacement adapter? Behringer doesn't seem to sell the adapter by itself.

c) Is there a standardized way of referring to the type of plug a device uses, so that if I order something non-Behringer, I know I'm getting something that will physically fit the pedal?

Thanks in advance, guitar gods.

• Members

You need to know if the power supply needs to be 9vAC or 9vDC. Look at the pedal - there should be a symbol (straight dash for DC, sometimes with dots underneath, and a wavy line for AC). Once you know that, get one that has 600mA or more.

If the voltage is AC, you don't have to worry about polarity of the plug, but if it's DC, you need to get that bit right too. Again, there's usually a sign on the pedal itself, indicating where + and - should go.

Archived