Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its a shame that now people are prone to just think that your work has no value and they're "Entitled" to it for free. Sure, I spent my whole life working to get better and get signed and now you want it all for free?

Tell that to your doctor or lawyer and watch them laugh in your face, while they send you the bill.

• Members

I'll throw in my two cents.

As a musician, my favourite model would be something similar to what Trent Reznor is doing. Give the album for free but have a separate pay-version with FLAC, HQ videos, etc. Or in terms of physical media, CD or Vinyl.

As a listener, i acquire everything for free. If i like an album i'll definitely buy it, if i don't i'll probably just delete it or never really listen to it again. I usually try to cut down on things such as eating out/drinks/other such luxuries so i can spend on bands i like. I do get disappointed when a band only gives away free music and no pay version. I guess it just feels better to pay for something you really liked but then, maybe i'm just weird like that.

The thing about myspace/bandcamp songs and previews is that mostly it's just a couple of songs from an album and the previews are simply 30 seconds long. Based on just that i have ended up getting/buying many albums that were boring apart from just what i had heard online. Giving away your album for free or streaming the entire thing, in addition to a pay-version/cd/vinyl, will also reach a ton more people.

• Members

I'll throw in my two cents.

As a musician, my favourite model would be something similar to what Trent Reznor is doing. Give the album for free but have a separate pay-version with FLAC, HQ videos, etc. Or in terms of physical media, CD or Vinyl.

yes but this only works for Reznor for 2 reasons:

1. He's already filthy rich

2. He's already made a name for himself, and doesnt need to be relevant.

This model does NOT work for new unestablished bands.. I've seen people try and fail at this a million times over. Unless you're Prince or NIN, it's not happening for you.

• Members

You people are everything that is wrong with music today. You have ruined it all.

My thing is this. If you believe that recordings have no monetary value, and that music is free and should be shared and all that {censored}, and you are a real artist because you, like, are not in it for the money but for the love (a true amateur, therefore), then tell us, really:

why do you care if anyone hears your music?

why do you want people to download your {censored}ty free album?

why do you have a goddamn myspace/bandcamp/facebook/twitter/whatever page?

It's not money that is fueling this flood of worthless noise on the internet, it is some kind of shallow psychosis.

• Members

You people are everything that is wrong with music today. You have ruined it all.

My thing is this. If you believe that recordings have no monetary value, and that music is free and should be shared and all that {censored}, and you are a real
artist
because you, like, are not in it for the money but for the
love
(a true amateur, therefore), then tell us, really:

why do you care if anyone hears your music?

why do you want people to download your {censored}ty free album?

why do you have a goddamn myspace/bandcamp/facebook/twitter/whatever page?

It's not money that is fueling this flood of worthless noise on the internet, it is some kind of shallow psychosis.

Guys like you are "everything that is wrong" with Winter Park, FL.

SB

• Members

its a shame that now people are prone to just think that your work has no value and they're "Entitled" to it for free. Sure, I spent my whole life working to get better and get signed and now you want it all for free?

Tell that to your doctor or lawyer and watch them laugh in your face, while they send you the bill.

LoL exactly. The issue is most artist are huge {censored}ing pussys who let themselves get pushed around and dictated to. Stand up for yourself and realize you and your artistic endevours have value you fragile vaginas.

• Members

Oh, and one final thing on services. If viewing music this way, then if the OP has ever played a gig for free, then "Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?" applies to you too.

I have never ever played a free show nor will I. Sure there have been times when a venue tries to play coy and not pay us after we pack there {censored}ing bar / venue with our friends / fans but those *discussions* usually ended with me and my old drummer cornering a mother {censored}er till we got paid what we were promised.

I have donated our "service" and played a few benifit shows... Last weekend a breast cancer fund raiser. Tickets were 15 bucks and all the money went to a good cause.

• Members

Yet I bet you're the first to complain when someone introduces splash screens asking you to buy, or DRM on game titles to protect their property.

Right....

If I'm paying for software, I'll certainly read reviews. If it's free, it's disposable. If it's disposable, it's
worthless

That's an idiotic way of looking at things. I worked in large data warehouse(I'm talking many terabytes of historical data) for major company(100,000 employees) that used free software for certain tasks. Ever use PuTTY? Its a free telnet client. Used it to connect to the Unix box. If you can't connect to the Unix box when a problem happens the entire operation can come to a halt. Lot of money at stake. Example of very important software thats free. FYI the program worked flawless.

This is a ridiculous discussion. I'm not against anyone charging money for their music. Just don't be naive enough to think free = crap.

• Members

it sounded so pompous and arrogant.

You can never say never. My 2 cents.

Well I never have played a free show and I don't intend to anytime in the future. Why would anyone bother to pack up their gear and play a show for free? Do you need to be loved that bad?

I'm not talking making big money either. Whether it's a house party with a Modest beer keg / band cover of a few bucks or a proper venue with a cut from the door etc...

• Members

LoL exactly. The issue is most artist are huge {censored}ing pussys who let themselves get pushed around and dictated to. Stand up for yourself and realize you and your artistic endevours have value you fragile vaginas.

For someone quick to dish out the insults, your attitude in this thread has pretty much been 'pity the poor artist' with full violins wailing in the background, fragile vagina style.

Do you believe that all artistic endeavours have a monetary value? I don't. A lot of the musical output I hear on HCFX for instance reminds me of going to countless diners in Toronto, looking at the art on the wall painted by some talentless {censored}wad, and giggling at the three figure price tag. Same {censored} happens in hospitals over here, useless pieces of artistic wank with an overblown price tag hanging on the walls, desperately hoping that someone just stepping out of the stroke ward will feel the need to buy a useless piece of {censored}.

I take the Bukowski approach to art. You just do it for the {censored} of it. If it sells, it sells.

I don't put music out because I'm {censored}. I'm fully aware of my talent limitations. I wish some 'artists' out there filling Myspace with {censored} had the same attitude.

Archived