Why Are You Giving Your Music Away?

six acre lake

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
but with the "new model" as soon as you sell one "record" on bandcamp, there's a chance it now can be distributed for free to everyone who wants it.

also, the idea of "records" and "albums" ... that's the "old model"

sorry man, technology gives and it takes away...
:lol:

this is true.

If I did a search on google right now for Ancient Mariner - Darkness & Light, I get about 15 pages full of external links where people have uploaded all of my albums....mixed with several threads about Iron Maiden :thu:

• Members

Do you understand the basic irrelevancy of your position?

Let me put it like this:

You think I should pay $1 per song. I disagree. I have access to a computer, and any number of options to download your song, with about zero chance of you stopping me from doing so.

I win. I have your song, and paid nothing.

Your music was free.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Do you feel good about being a scumbag?

• Members

Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Do you feel good about being a scumbag?

SAL, I understand the frustration but really, you don't think people feeling guilty about DLing music for free is the answer?

I used to use my cassette recorder to tape songs off the radio, technology has just made it a lot easier.

• Members

I'm aware of that, hence my question. You didn't answer my question. Are people who purchase second hand records assholes?

Thats a trickier question... I like supporting my local record store as much as I like supporting the artists. I don't really buy used vinyl very often and I never buy used CDs.

• Members

Do you understand that this whole thread is absolutely pointless, other than a vehicle for getting up on a soapbox and giving a personal morality lecture, which none of us needed?

• Members

SAL, I understand the frustration but really, you don't think people feeling guilty about DLing music for free is the answer?

I used to use my cassette recorder to tape songs off the radio, technology has just made it a lot easier.

the difference being is that the blank cassette/CD manufacturers pay royalties to the major publishing companies and labels under laws, knowing its use for copying copyrighted materials.

• Members

We need to find some points that we all agree on...

1) Everything has intrinsic value to someone. Even a bag of dog {censored} could probably be sold to Adam Sandler.

2) The market determines price. Customers only buy what they see as a value.

3) Stealing is wrong.

4) ...?

• Members

No I don't think guilt will stop anything since, sadly no one feels guilty about it. This started because of folks just giving it away from jumpstreet. Yes I understand there is no shortage of tech out there but why set yourself up to be defeated.

• Members

the difference being is that the blank cassette/CD manufacturers pay royalties to the major publishing companies and labels under laws, knowing its use for copying copyrighted materials.

makes no difference to me, who even uses cassettes or CDs anymore?

• Members

No I don't think guilt will stop anything since, sadly no one feels guilty about it. This started because of folks just giving it away from jumpstreet. Yes I understand there is no shortage of tech out there but why set yourself up to be defeated.

you don't have to be defeated but getting mad about it just won't do anything

It's not just selling recorded music, the studios are going under because you can turn your laptop into a 32 channel studio, bars don't really care about live music any more because the jukeboxes have internet connections to DL any song a patron could want, even movies are going under the change.

• Members

makes no difference to me, who even uses cassettes or CDs anymore?

tell that to engineers who routinely make rough mix copies to listen when not in the studio. You tell me you'd rather reference a {censored}ty compressed mp3 file when working on major label mixes vs a high quality CD?

• Members
tell that to engineers who routinely make rough mix copies to listen when not in the studio. You tell me you'd rather reference a {censored}ty compressed mp3 file when working on major label mixes vs a high quality CD?

CDs are compressed too :)

you can set the compression level on MP3s :)

:lol: c'mon pops, keep up

Archived