OT: McCain picks Palin

angstwulf

• Members

Say what you want about McCain, but the guy's got balls. You gotta be pretty confident in yourself to make a move like this.

About a month or two ago, I was thinking about skipping this election. Now McCain's been consistently making choices I believe are good for this country.

Imagine if McCain gets the presidency and unleashes her to go after areas of government where influential people (regardless of party) have been getting away with dishonest gains. If she gets to do what she did in Alaska on a national scale, I like the idea.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Experience is now longer a metric in this election. Palin has been a governor for les than 2 years! Obama's combined state and U.S. experience washes that out by far.

We've seen Obama in action everyday for 19 months straight. He proved himself. We know who he is, we know he beat the Clinton's at their own game, we know he ran the best political machine in campaign history, what he thinks, how he governs, how he thinks and he can hold his own a foreign stage.

This comes down to 1 question, is Palin capable of being president. All the rhetoric won't mask the blaring fact she isn't.

Change isn't about being a women or black - it's who you are and what you stand for. That

• Members
Experience is now longer a metric in this election. Palin has been a governor for les than 2 years! Obama's combined state and U.S. experience washes that out by far.

We've seen Obama in action everyday for 19 months straight. He proved himself. We know who he is, we know he beat the Clinton's at their own game, we know he ran the best political machine in campaign history, what he thinks, how he governs, how he thinks and he can hold his own a foreign stage.

This comes down to 1 question, is Palin capable of being president. All the rhetoric won't mask the blaring fact she isn't.

Change isn't about being a women or black - it's who you are and what you stand for. That

• Members

It only comes down to that question for the people who are already commited to voting for Obama.

Meanwhile, McCain just soundly secured the Conservative vote. That's a huge tick in his corner. He also just swiped away a good number of Hillary's 18 million voters.

This lady is a "hockey mom" - you have no idea how many on-the-fence moms are going to love this pick.

And even the AP is now openly criticizing Obama and his stated policies. Obama/Biden have an uphill battle to say the least.

• Members

While everyone is commending her on her anti-corruption stance, it should maybe be noted that she's currently under a state ethics investigation in AK.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/29/palin-ethics-investigation/

Also, if this was a move meant to get women who voted for Clinton in the primaries to the McCain side, then he sorely misjudged the women who voted for Clinton. Most of those women are into their reproductive rights, while Palin is a staunch pro-lifer.

Oh, also, hi keyboard forum! I'm from the effects forum, but I've been lurking here while I've been researching synths. I just picked up a Nord Mini Modular from the good old eBay based in part on some reading I've done here, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm excited. :wave:

• Members
There was no other reason to pick her.

orly-bush.jpg

How about the evangelical vote? How about the fact that she stood up to her own party to oust people who have been unethical in government? That's certainly not going unnoticed. I believe McCain has a clear plan of what he wants to do in Washington and Palin is part of how to accomplish that. :thu:

• Members

While everyone is commending her on her anti-corruption stance, it should maybe be noted that she's currently under a state ethics investigation in AK.

Uh, yeah. I would take this "ethics challenge" over demonstrable connections with Tony Rezko and William Ayers any day.

• Members

> Being that 90% of African Americans are voting for Obama, why is this >such a stretch to believe that Palin won't draw a large number of the >disgruntled Hillary women

Because Palin is ultra conserative and doesnt support equal pay or right to choose. If that was the case, Hillary would have won 90% of the feamle vote, that didn't happen with her and Obama are 95% on the same page. This will actually rally moderates, independants and librals to move to Obama.

He sure did and lost the critical moderate and independant vote. Today tracking poll show 49%/41% for Obama, it's going to go much higher after this selection. McCain needed to give people a reason not to vote for Obama, not to reassure them to jump on board with him. There are Republicans who dont even know who she is, let alone the fact she is under investigation by the state of Alaska for abuse of power.

It's one thing to buy property from a snake legally, it's another thing to break the law.

To do the same thing over again and expect different results is insanity. So why go with a voting record that was 95% the same as George Bush? Americans are criticized around the world for being dumb, but I have to believe we aren't that dumb. If thats the case, I better learn French quick.

It comes down to 1 question... Does Palin own any synths?

• Members

She should carry a bit of weight in the continental US having led the charge on corruption reform in Alaska and being a big Stevens basher.

"More recently, she[Palin] has come under the scrutiny of an investigation by the Republican-controlled legislature into the possibility that she ordered the dismissal of Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper." -Associated Press :poke:

• Members

has come under the scrutiny of an investigation by the Republican-controlled legislature into the possibility that she ordered the dismissal of Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper." -Associated Press :poke:

You guys clearly haven't read the article on this investigation - I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.

The details of this story will appeal to the "soccer mom" vote a lot more than it will work to detract from her ethics credentials.

You. Must. Try. Harder.

• Members

Uh, yeah. I would take this "ethics challenge" over demonstrable connections with Tony Rezko and William Ayers any day.

Yeah, well...

Firing someone over a personal vendetta sucks, yes, but I personally don't think this is that big a deal. But at the same time, let's not paint her as a political saint was more my point. I personally don't like her because of her policy views, not so much the ethics thing. I don't trust any career politician in terms of ethics, so I think it's kind of a moot point either way.

• Members

such a stretch to believe that Palin won't draw a large number of the >disgruntled Hillary women

Because Palin is ultra conserative and doesnt support equal pay or right to choose. If that was the case, Hillary would have won 90% of the feamle vote, that didn't happen with her and Obama are 95% on the same page. This will actually rally moderates, independants and librals to move to Obama.

He sure did and lost the critical moderate and independant vote. today tracking poll show 49%/41% for Obama, it's going to go much higher after this selection. McCain needed to give people not to vote for Obama, not to reassure them to jump on board with him.

It comes down to 1 question...

Unfortunately, Obama and Biden won't get the moderates, they are viewed as too liberal, otherwise Obama would be 15-20 points ahead in the polls,

the VP spot in general usually does not mean squat, look at Dan Quayle, this time it's in play because Hillary got the shaft and a large number of her 18 million supporters are pissed, look at groups like PUMA Etc.

• Members

Meanwhile, McCain just soundly secured the Conservative vote. That's a huge tick in his corner. He also just swiped away a good number of Hillary's 18 million voters.

This lady is a "hockey mom" - you have no idea how many on-the-fence moms are going to love this pick.

Hillary's a Democrat. Democrats are more issues oriented than Republicans. Palin is anti-abortion. "Hillary bounce" will be short lived except in a few areas like the Appalachia area, where they already mistrust Obama.

This pick was done to excite The Base. Period.

Other than putting Colorado and Nevada into play, I don't see a whole lot of good in this pick when I think about it. I would've thought that the rust belt (in which case you get a good economic Republican) or Florida (in which case you get Crist) would've mattered more.

This smells of Rove once again trying to get the conservative "issues" vote and use it to win the election.

We'll see. She's not *quite* as conservative as the South perhaps would like (slightly mushy on gays, slightly mushy on marijuana). She's more Western style in some ways. But I never thought that was key in this election.

• Members

Unfortunately, Obama and Biden won't get the moderates, they are viewed as too liberal, otherwise Obama would be 15-20 points ahead in the polls,

the VP spot in general usually does not mean squat, look at Dan Quayle, this time it's in play because Hillary got the shaft and a large number of her 18 million supporters are pissed, look at groups like PUMA Etc.

Exactly. If McCain had picked someone like Romney, then the VP slot would have been nearly inconsequential. However, now, it's a HUGE deal.

• Members

Because Palin is the kind of pick the Conservatives wanted. This gives Conservatives a solid reason to pull the lever for McCain.

But did they need a solid reason to pull the lever for McCain over Obama? It just seems like an unnecessary action there.

And does the sex card play any roll with a true conservative?

• Members

she's a cheerleader for the mcbush camp. it's an incredibly smart decision, especially if she's as crazy as she sounds- heavy into christian mythology, useful as a bag of rocks. complete puppet to earn votes. and i didn't even know tina fey was governor of alaska!

let's not forget the person who stands to lose the most in this decision:

blog_michaelpalin.jpg

• Members
But did they need a solid reason to pull the lever for McCain over Obama? It just seems like an unnecessary action there.

And does the sex card play any roll with a true conservative?

No offense, urb, but I can see you're not well-versed on the topics.

Allow me to quickly clue you in: Conservatives were luke-warm to cold towards McCain. Not only is he not a Conservative, but he's considered someone to have worked against Conservatism. Many Conservatives were either reluctant to vote for him, or were threatening to sit the election out.

There's also the matter of campaign donations - you want an enthusiastic base so they open their wallets wide. McCain's pick here opens the wallets about as wide as he could have possibly done. Watch - you're going to see reports of McCain's coffers filling up large and quick.

Sex does not play a role. Please, please, please do not buy into the stereotypes that the left has been feeding the public for years. To misunderstand your opponent is to lose to your opponent. Conservatives - irregardless of what has been in the media for years - can care less about gender or sexual orientation. Gay issues are completely distorted and misunderstood - for the obvious reason of making Conservatives look evil. :rolleyes:

Now watch, someone is going to argue with me about Conservatives not caring about gender or sexual orientation.

• Members
she's a cheerleader for the mcbush camp. it's an incredibly smart decision, especially if she's as crazy as she sounds- heavy into christian mythology, dumb as a bag of rocks. complete puppet to earn votes. and i didn't even know tina fey was governor of alaska!

let's not forget the person who stands to lose the most in this decision:

Could not have said it better ! She's eye candy for McBush and this is going to play well for him...Hillary & Bill have got to be loving this, and you know they are going to vote McBush so she can come back in 4 years..bet on it.

• Members

I was thinking about sitting out not too long ago, and I would describe myself as a conservative evangelical christian. (and I don't have any gender issues either, not to mention I believe gays should have all their civil rights - and everybody else I don't agree with on principle, should as well, for that matter).

McCain's talk with Rick Warren plus this actually gets me a bit excited about this election.

• Members
Being that 90% of African Americans are voting for Obama, why is this such a stretch to believe that Palin won't draw a large number of the disgruntled Hillary women....This could be trouble for Obama, he should have picked Hillary

Today I overheard a known liberal, female coworker say she now plans to vote for McCain based on his female VP pick. We are indeed an idiocracy. :facepalm:

Archived