OT: McCain picks Palin

angstwulf

• Members

Sarah Palin, that is. Guvnor of Alaska.

Kind of an interesting ballsy move. Young, untested. Former beauty pageant contestant and college basketball player. Evangelical Christian but with fairly moderate views on gays. She should carry a bit of weight in the continental US having led the charge on corruption reform in Alaska and being a big Stevens basher.

I have no direct knowledge of her. My co-worker is Alaskan. I got him on the cell phone for a few seconds and he said she is "{censored}ing crazy". He had to cut the call short. Something about being in the middle of a wedding ceremony. Bastiche.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So if McCain gets elected, and something happens to him in office, the US would be run by a person who has spent approximately two years as governor of Alaska, and prior to that was mayor of a town of about 5,000 people.

Pardon my skepticism. But on the other hand, given the ongoing ineptitude of a long string of experienced political types, maybe she'd have as good a chance as anyone of straightening out this mess that the US has become.

In the long run, though, my immediate reaction is that McCain screwed himself beyond belief with this one. His choice will likely seen as little more than a blatant political maneuver, that probably won't fool many people. While Obama seems to have chosen a running mate whose experience and skillset would likely help him to succeed in his job, I am not seeing that in McCain's choice, at least not after reading a cursory biography of the woman.

What a f**ked up mess.

• Members

So if McCain gets elected, and something happens to him in office, the US would be run by a person who has spent approximately two years as governor of Alaska, and prior to that was mayor of a town of about 5,000 people.

And if Obama gets elected, we have a President with only 4 total years "experience" as a Senator, 3 of those years he used to run for the Presidency. Prior to that he was in Illinois senate for 7 years.

At least being a Mayor and then a Govenor gives one executive experience much more similar to the Presidency than being a congressman.

• Members

VPILF!

:thu:

In all seriousnessity, I find the choice fascinating. Whether or not it was a wise choice remains to be seen (by the way, I'm an Obama nerd). I get the feeling that she isn't a lightweight. I am wondering if the McCain camp wanted her because it would highlight a return to McCain's previous reputation as the financial reform guy or if they really think that her all over the map experiences will allow them to appeal to the female vote AND the conservative Christian vote AND the fiscal conservative vote at the same time.

Of course, she will appeal to the sweaty dork at the keyboard constituency but like I said, I'm already taken.

By the way, any of you photoshoppers want to put together a Sarah Palin/Elizabeth Kucinich 3rd party election poster? Mebbe for the PILF Party?

Throw in Jeri Kehn as the Minister for the Interior (heh heh heh..)

• Members

And if Obama gets elected, we have a President with only 4 total years "experience" as a Senator, 3 of those years he used to run for the Presidency. Prior to that he was in Illinois senate for 7 years.

Yep, exactly.

IMHO, it seemed like his relative inexperience was the strongest argument against an Obama presidency. And McCain just took that argument right off the table.

The good news here is that no matter who wins, we'll either have the first non-white president or the first non-male vice president. Probably ultimately healthy for the evolution of the good ol' USA.

• Members

Suddenly Obama is the safer choice by leaps and bounds. McCain gave Obama and Biden a great gift today that already is showing up in the polls and conversation.

In one calculated political move, McCain threw the experience argument and Celebrity card out with the bath water with pick of a former beauty queen.

The difference in judgment is nothing short of stunning

• Members

All the things BO gives lip service to (reaching out to the other side, bucking partisanship) McCain has actually done. What's the explanation for BO never voting against his party? That the Dems and the Left are always right so he never should have?

You can't argue that McCain's fighting for the surge (which BO still stupidly disparages, stupid being the key word here) at the time seemed like pure political suicide and that by doing so he did place the welfare of the country above his career and presidential ambitions. Whatever his faults, he should get credit and respect for doing that. Can anybody see BO doing this? Get real. And does anybody think that BO will manage to take credit for a (hopefully) successful outcome in Iraq? Undoubtedly he'll try, but people aren't that stupid and they won't fall for it.

Oh yes- Im afraid BO will lose the family values vote, lovely wife and children notwithstanding. A half-brother living in poverty on another continent is family, too. Ironically, George Bush, with his track record of aid to Africa, may have done more for BO's brother than BO himself.

• Members

All the things BO gives lip service to (reaching out to the other side, bucking partisanship) McCain has actually done. What's the explanation for BO never voting against his party? That the Dems and the Left are always right so he never should have?

Per the electoral-vote.com analysis done a wild back (which averaged together liberal and conservative interest group "ratings"), McCain and Obama fall together roughly in the same (moderate) area of their party. Also, from what I've read, both have a good reputation for working with the other side. McCain obviously more so due to his experience.

It's easy to put together a *single* study showing Obama to be wildly liberal and McCain to be wildly conservative. Don't get trapped by that. :p Their VP picks in fact *both* reach out to the respective "cores" of the party.

• Members

I find the cross partisanship issue almost comical. All the republicans I know are so pro-red that they would never vote for a democrat even if the candidate was clearly a better choice. I think more democrats are likely to vote for the best candidate regardless of party. Obviously this isn't the same as crossing the party lines in congress and such, just an interesting observation.

• Members

I find the cross partisanship issue almost comical. All the republicans I know are so pro-red that they would never vote for a democrat even if the candidate was clearly a better choice. I think more democrats are likely to vote for the best candidate regardless of party. Obviously this isn't the same as crossing the party lines in congress and such, just an interesting observation.

indeed. just look at the justice department.

Archived