Opinions on the Gibson Goldtone GA-15 requested...

companyman

• Members

the one with the brown suitcase look to it.....I worked a deal where I sold my Super Jet and a some pedals all together and am thinking about picking one of these up. I think I saw a NAD thread here a while back and am wondering if it's capable of keeping up with a moderate drummer in a band situation? I have tried a Trace Elliot Vellocette and felt it was loud enough...but could benefit from either a different speaker, it had the Vintage 30 10" Celestion, or an eq pedal as it seemed to throw a huge amount of treble with my Firebird. Opinions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you love jizz? Because that's what you'll be doing every single time you play through a GA15.

So {censored}ing nice and they are cheap comparatively. I had one and I am kinda bummed I sold it. I kept my GA30rv however so its not like I don't have those tones on tap. Some of the creamiest drive tones ever.

• Members

Do you love jizz? Because that's what you'll be doing every single time you play through a GA15.

So {censored}ing nice and they are cheap comparatively. I had one and I am kinda bummed I sold it. I kept my GA30rv however so its not like I don't have those tones on tap. Some of the creamiest drive tones ever.

• Members

So fucking nice and they are cheap comparatively. I had one and I am kinda bummed I sold it. I kept my GA30rv however so its not like I don't have those tones on tap. Some of the creamiest drive tones ever.

yeah, I had the GA30rv for about a year, great tone and the boost circuit was amazing, great effects loop also, I was moving across the country and combined with the weight of the thing, decided to sell it...regretted it ever since. I am looking for lower wattage so I can get the power tube break-up going, think that the GA-15 is just the ticket, thanks for the input duder! :thu:

• Members

There's a thread from a few weeks back where Shaun was inquiring about them (good info in there). Basically a Trace Elliot Velocette with a Gibson logo. One of the best sounding amps out there, and an excellent buy at the prices they go for. Small, light, and loud. I mean loud. Takes pedals well. Made in the UK. Great grab and go amp for any gig. ;)

• Members

Just peeped at that one. Looks to be in great condition? That's about what the max I would want to pay but I'm sure it will go up in price before it ends. People are getting hip to them. I hear a lot of ex-owners saying stuff like "I wish I never got rid of that one", so I'm sure they're keeping their eyes on a deal too?

• Members

$300 seems to be about the going rate. i'd like to get the plaid one. the velocette twin that i had was a great sounding amp; i was a bit leery about the reliability.

I've seen those plaid ones. :love: A few years back they would pop up here and there but I've not seen one in a while.

I could see the twin with it's added weight being a head scratcher. The smaller ones like the 1x10" are pretty rugged. They only thing I've heard go wrong with them [Trace Elliot, not the one made for Gibson] were the output transformers on early runs had some issues. I know it might cost in labor to take it in to have it repaired, but a replacement OT in the cost of parts would only set you back about $50.

• Members

the amp ate up tubes too.

An unfortunate trade off of pushing the EL84 to its limit. But there is hope! A lot of amp designs just copy the mistakes of designs that went before. You can cool those EL84's down and still get that pushed to the limit sound out of them by adding (or increasing) a screen resistor of 1K-2.7K. It greatly extends the life of an EL84 and still gets the mojo happening. I'm lucky, I'm a 6V6 guy and I don't have to worry about that so much. :p

• Members

An unfortunate trade off of pushing the EL84 to its limit. But there is hope! A lot of amp designs just copy the mistakes of designs that went before. You can cool those EL84's down and still get that pushed to the limit sound out of them by adding (or increasing) a screen resistor of 1K-2.7K. It greatly extends the life of an EL84 and still gets the mojo happening. I'm lucky, I'm a 6V6 guy and I don't have to worry about that so much.
:p

this is interesting, I have heard that these eat tubes also, if I get one I may look into the resistor swap, easy inexpensive to have done?

• Members

this is interesting, I have heard that these eat tubes also, if I get one I may look into the resistor swap, easy inexpensive to have done?

Lots of EL84 amps eat EL84 tubes. The list is a mile long. But yes, I just pulled up the schematic and they use (a common low value) 100 ohm resistors on the screens. All you have to do is swap those out for 1K-2.7K 2+Watt resistors and you're golden. :thu:

Archived