Which fuzz for that raspy Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds sound?

Loobs

• Members

Damn, that sounds really good. Any idea what guitar and amp being used? I always had the impression that MK1's really thinned out the sound so something like a Les Paul was required to get the sound found in the clip. I play telecasters and don't really need a fuzz to thin my sound out at all.

• Members

"An original 1965 MKI Tone Bender recorded with a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster in to a ZT Lunchbox."

Damn, that sounds really good. Any idea what guitar and amp being used? I always had the impression that MK1's really thinned out the sound so something like a Les Paul was required to get the sound found in the clip. I play telecasters and don't really need a fuzz to thin my sound out at all.

• Members

I always had the impression that MK1's really thinned out the sound so something like a Les Paul was required to get the sound found in the clip.

The MKI's that I have definitely do not thin out the sound.

(I use a tele)

They are nice and thick and chewy.

I love some MKIness.

the dam 1965 is another good example of this MKI sound:

[YOUTUBE]l23o4hS_HUM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have pretty expensive fuzzes, but sometimes I wonder why (the mojo--fuzz is intentionally lo-fi and blown out. A somewhat lesser recommended one is the Ibanez FZ-7.....cheap as hell, and the damage switch on 10 percent really nails that mid 60's Yardbirds sound.....good mids, clarity.

This following YouTube clip gives a good indication of it, though if I had a suggestion for demo purposes, it would have been cool to hear the gain on 100, but with the damage on 10 percent....it has a crazy ripping sound without clipping the sustain too much like on the 100 percent damage setting.

• Members

what's the word on the BYOC tone benders?

I'm not sure about the more recent ones, but I built one back when they were still using turret boards, and it's my favorite fuzz. I ended up adding an external bias pot and changed out a few resistors to get a bit more volume (which was totally unnecessary, but I don't mind being able to get really, really {censored}ing loud). If I play around with the bias pot a bit, use a brighter guitar and a bright amp, it does get into LZ1 and Yardbirds territory, but mine seems better suited to early Black Sabbath and Magic Potion era Black Keys.

Archived