When do you think valve amps will become obsolete?

BTBAM

• Members

skip to 3:35

it's a guitar overloading a mixing desk line in

point taken. i guess i would argue that neutral milk hotel still uses tube amps, and that i wouldn't really think of that as a tone that's really all that crucial to modern music. and that there's all kinds of things people do in studios that don't happen in real life which are not the things that define the tones of modern music per se. but i guess those aren't the terms we were really talking about and i would probably loose the argument based on the simple statement that started this. i guess i would also say that if you're going to bring in all the various studio trickery and such that people do with guitars to make weird noises, that there's no one single thing that can really produce the tones required for modern music. which would also mean i loose, but in a weird way 'cause i guess my point was that as a general means of amplifying the electric guitar, tube amps seem to be meeting those requirements in modern music just as well as, if not better than anything else out there. but i'm not really trying to argue. i don't want to. i was just confused by the statement. i don't know if CoC is serious or not. and if so, or if anyone else feels that way, what does produce the tones required for modern music? certainly not straight into a mixing desk. if not tubes, then what is the alternative. unless you just mean "nothing can produce the tones required for modern music." because no one thing can produce them all.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But what about current tube amps being made?

Will it really be a vintage gear nerd who keeps the 22watt Burgera and Egnater Tweakers alive?

A Bugera or Tweaker will fall apart relatively quickly.

In any case, I find it a bit bizarre that the fx group is debating when tube amps will be obsolete when modeling can't duplicate a simple Fuzz Face correctly.

Sure you can get the sound right at any one setting of guitar or fuzz, but turn a knob on the guitar and the model goes out the window.

• Members

I think modeling amps will become obsolete quicker than vintage tube amps. I mean who in ten years will be playing on the same modeling software or modeling amps, digital is made to get old so people buy the new stuff. Tubed, even good solid state like the JC will never become obsolete because they were built to last not to get old.

• Members

Obsolete? Possibly. It's old tech.

While a modeling amp or a SS amp with your favorite dirt pedal may be fine for quick jaunts through your bedroom, for hard/heavyrock those amps can not hang in a live setting in front of a loud drummer. A Les Paul, 4 EL34's on the verge of melting, punishing 8 12's is a majickal experience. Can't model that.

Both SS/modeling for low volume tones and tube volume and feel have their place.

• Members

they already ARE
:idk:

They were 'obsolete' in 1965. If you mean 'obsolete' to mean that you no longer required tubes to power a guitar amplifier.

I think there will always be a need for them. There is a dynamic, physical experience to playing a tube amp that nothing else replicates with any real conviction.

• Members

They were 'obsolete' in 1965. If you mean 'obsolete' to mean that you no longer required tubes to power a guitar amplifier.

I think there will always be a need for them. There is a dynamic, physical experience to playing a tube amp that nothing else replicates with any real conviction.

sig'd hard as {censored}

• Members

Even if every year, modeling technology halved the distance between it and tube technology... it will still never get there. And as long as tubes are the standards that the modeling amps are attempting to replicate, those tubes will always exist.

• Members

Vinyls are still prefered by tons of people in an age when everything is download instanly and play, no big space taking package or getting up to flip the record required. Modeling will probably get to a point where you can play through them live in a room and get the same experience you do from a tube amp (although I haven't heard it yet) but even then I doubt tube amps will be obsolete. The same way Ipods and mp3s have failed to make record players and vinyl obsolete. Someone threw out a figure of 5 to 10 years but I have a hard time believing it will be anywhere even close to that quick when people still go crazy for another new fuzz face/tonebender clone with mojo parts you literally can't hear the difference from that cleans up 1 yocto meter more with the volume knob than what we had 40 years ago...

• Members

I will say this. If, one day, i am in a nursing home and can still play guitar, I will get a modelling amp and some headphones so i can still jam out.

Hopefully by then they'll be something i want to play.

• Members

tube amps are actually in their infancy. the boutique handmade tube industry hasn't even begun yet. it may take a while as long as they're still available from countries that make them. we won't see the end of them in our lifetime.

I think the answer though is, tube amps will die when rock n' roll dies.

Archived