When do you think valve amps will become obsolete?

BTBAM

• Members

Was just reading through a few threads over on TGP. Completely unrelated to the thread topic I saw someone ask why anyone would spend X amount of dollars on a valve amp when in 5-10 years they'll be obsolete.

I know vintage amps are still around, but with the digital modeling where it is now, or where it will be soon enough, what are your thoughts about good ol' tube amps?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

a friend of mine has a 40's chevy pickup. when he fills it he has to put lead in the tank. obsolete? sure. nostalgia does strange things to people.

i'm quite sure that somewhere, 100 years from now, someone will be enjoying an ancient fender tele and an old champ.

Not a chance. 100 years from now, everyone will be buying Gibson Firebird X guitars and saying 'Geez, people were so stupid in 2010 to mock them'.

• Members

yeah, Valve Technology is kinda obsolete

only vintage gear nerds will keep it alive

But what about current tube amps being made?

Will it really be a vintage gear nerd who keeps the 22watt Burgera and Egnater Tweakers alive?

• Members

I don't think tube amps will go away, but i do agree with the statement that most todays built in _____ tube amp probably won't be around or sot after... the hand made boutique stuff will be. There a certain warm/feel/awesomeness that digital modeling can't replicate. So until tubes are replaced with another technology that can replicate this they won't be obsolete, i don't think digital modeling is the next step...

• Members

How many companies still make tubes now, compared to back in the day

tubes are much more widely available now than they were in the '80's. there may not be as many companies making them as there were in the mid century. but the recent trend has been towards an increase in production.

and valve amps have a unique sound and character that is not being completely and faithfully reproduced by other technologies. those other technologies may sound really good, that's a matter of opinion really. but they don't sound and feel and respond like tubes. at least not convincingly enough to sway tube players away from their precious tube amps. it's more than just nostalgia or hype. at this point there really still is a difference. and i'm not convinced that we are very close to having a viable and cost effective alternative. and there's really no need to when there are so many wonderful tube amps being made and still in use and good tubes are so widely available.

• Members

a friend of mine has a 40's chevy pickup. when he fills it he has to put lead in the tank. obsolete? sure. nostalgia does strange things to people.

i'm quite sure that somewhere, 100 years from now, someone will be enjoying an ancient fender tele and an old champ.

Basically, this.

• Members

I just picked up a copy of Premier Guitar magazine. ANd was drooling over all of the custom, hand made tube amps. No shortage at all of new companies, designs, etc. And if they are advertising here, they must be doing ok at least. I saw few companies advertising their solid state and digital amps. I think tube amps are safe.

• Members

If people have an amp they're in love with I'd recommend they buy enough valves to last them the rest of their lives now, while they're extremely cheap (sovteks are great, haters gonna hate). The second the chinese or sovtek factory says "not profitable any more", prices are gonna go up and up.

• Members

Tubes can't produce the tone required for modern music.
:cop:

i can't tell if you're serious. i've seen you say this before and thought that you were, with the whole axe-fx thing. but you just had a thread about going back to a tube amp and pedals. i'm not sure what tones tubes can't produce. or what modern guitar based music isn't being very effectively produced with them.

• Members

As long as civilization holds up, some people will love tube amps - they look cool, they sound great, they have that undefinable mojo that gear-heads will always love.

Now weather the electric guitar will stay relevant as an instrument in popular music remains in question. But as long as there are electric guitar players, there will be electric guitar players who play through tube amps.

Archived