Any idea why a BOSS pedal would work with a 9v but not while on AC?

[J.K.]

• Members

This li'l guy hasn't seen any damage or anything and the plug works fine but, for some reason, every time I've plugged it in this week, it dies.

It's an RC-2, and I've been using it for practice while I'm living in a new city. Not the most crucial thing to get fixed, but I diggit (and hate droppin' cash on the batteries this thing devours).

Anyone had this problem? It doesn't look damaged internally.

• Members

Look at the label on the power supply.

If it says 9vac, there's your problem.

If the plug is wired polarity-backward with + going to minus, there's your problem.

If you check it with a voltmeter and get no power, there's your problem.

(electrical troubleshooting isnt difficult...)

• Members

Most Boss DC power jacks have an automatic switch in them so that when a plug is inserted they move from the battery to the jack power. That could also be broken along with the three things mentioned immediately above by Tim.

• Members

Usually, when adapter jacks fail, the pedal stop working with battery, but still work on adapter power. The battery positive runs through the jack, and when you insert a plug it physically moves a connector which disconnects the battery. Over the years, that connection can get loose, so the battery positive can't get through when you disconnect the adapter plug.

If it works fine on battery power, but not with an adapter, the problem is most likely with the adapter. Which adapter do you have?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
  • Members

I’m having a similar issue.  I know this thread is going on a decade but I figure I’d try my hand as well. I have an OC2 (Taiwan). It used to use a 9v power supply also.  Currently the only thing it will see is the 9v battery. The power supply doesn’t work with it. The power supply is good and a check with other pedals and a meter proves it. It also doesn’t work with a 1Spot Pro.  Any ideas on what Gandalf level shenanigans are afoot?

Archived