Boss Chorus Ensemble vs Boss Super chorus

butterguitar

• Members

Well I just came back from guitar center and I tried out the chorus ensemble and I was floored on how amazing this pedal sounds! I paired it with the DS-1 and it sounded great!

My question is, what makes the pedal sound so much different from the Super Chorus?

I already own a Super Chorus, but it just never gives me that "sound". I want the sound of two guitars going, like a stereo rig. I want the 1980's hard rock sound.

Should I sell or trade the super chorus for the ensemble?

• Members

Your Super Chorus(CH-1) is pretty much a CE-2(very close circuit using the same delay chip) but with a mix control, active tone control and a better LFO in my opinion. However, it doesn't go deep or fast enough for most people. That's and easy fix, there's only two small components to replace to make it deeper and faster.

• Members

Yeah I just thought the sound was more lush sounding.

The sound I want is more of a Van Halen Sammy Hagar era type tone. Very chorus and flanger sounding.

VH used an Eventide for stereo detune in those days.

A PS-5 or 6, or a Whammy might get you closer, as there is no modulation.

• Members

UPDATE:

So I purchased the Chorus Ensemble from Sam Ash today. I played it for a good while through my current rig and to tell you the honest truth, the pedals have very limited differences from each other. I first played my Boss Super Chorus with my chorus settings to get a nice rich, warm setting. Basically to make everything sound larger than it actually is. I used the same settings on the chorus ensemble and it sounded basically the same. However, the chorus ensemble is a little bit cleaner sounding. The super chorus does have a little "fuzz" in the chorus, but it is only recognizable when I would sustain single notes. (The sound would somewhat flutter and as with the chrous ensomble, it would stay clean)

Overall, for recording purposes the chorus ensemble would be the way to go, since it is the cleaner pedal, (the filter knob is also a great feature as well!!!)

But I do feel that the super chorus is the better pedal for live applications, because it does sound just a tad bit thicker, and it is a little more simple to work with as well.

• Members

I actually REALLY like the CE5 for bass, not so fond of it on guitar. Bought mine around 1994 I think, so it's before they went digital.

I agree with this. I always loved the CE-5, despite the more "classic" and hipster status of the earlier choruses- I liked how SUBTLE and CLEAN you could get the CE-5, almost like a simple doubling effect without all the warble, but most people wanted that "underwater" sound, I just wanted that "stereo-dimensional" sound...

Archived