E-mu Proteus FX and The "X-Files Theme" whistle sound

• Members

Well, I had a chance to finish a page on the Proteus FX , and since this unit has the Proteus 2 patch used by Mark Snow for the song, I thought I would post it... :)

Wissler (used in The X-Files theme) Cool, uh? uh? :D

Other goodies on this unit:

Acoustic a jumbo acoustic guitar... realistic

VoxHuman a surprisingly realistic choir

Conductr an expressive violin, classic Emulator sounds

echoist an analog pad from a very digital unit

Rain like on the classic Roland GM set

ToTheBar a cool 1960s Lounge organ

PeaceOrc more orchestral goodness

The full page is at http://www.synthmania.com/Proteus_FX.htm

-

• Members

Well, I had a chance to finish a page on the Proteus FX , and since this unit has the Proteus 2 patch used by Mark Snow for the song, I thought I would post it...
:)

Wissler
(used in
The X-Files theme
) Cool, uh? uh?
:D

Hearing it uneffected (I'm assuming) and all by its lonesome, it reminds me of Isao Tomita. Now I'm going to have to go break out that album and listen to that Arabesque track again!

Acoustic
a jumbo acoustic guitar... realistic

The playing was nice, did you do that "by hand" or use an arp? A couple of times I think it strayed almost into harpsichord area, though. Still, a good sounding acoustic guitar.

VoxHuman
a surprisingly realistic choir

Better than the choir sounds I've found in the K2500 so far. :mad:

Conductr
an expressive violin, classic Emulator sounds

Very nicely played; I think the playing made the patch on that one.

echoist
an analog pad from a very digital unit

Bladerunner meets Tales From the Dark Side. :rolleyes: NTTAWWT. :p

Rain
like on the classic Roland GM set

I swear that patch (or the Roland one) was on just about every late-night 80s cheesy "horror" show.

ToTheBar
a cool 1960s Lounge organ

Sounds a little thin to me, but I am not the guy to ask about organ sounds.

PeaceOrc
more orchestral goodness

Not bad for an orch patch.

Thanks for posting those. I see the Proteus units come and go on feePay and sometimes wonder whether or not they're worth the effort. I might have to pick one up. Where does the Proteus FX fall in the range of Proteus boxes, though? How does it compare to, say, a Proteus 2000 or 2500?

• Members

The playing was nice, did you do that "by hand" or use an arp? A couple of times I think it strayed almost into harpsichord area, though. Still, a good sounding acoustic guitar.

"by hand"... over the years I developed my own techniques to play stringed instruments... I think I can play a mean "banjo" as well LOL

Better than the choir sounds I've found in the K2500 so far.
:mad:

load samples from a good sample CD into the K2500 and you're set...

Very nicely played; I think the playing made the patch on that one.

Thanks... actually that violin sample is really good - the Emulator III library was very high-quality when it came out...

I swear that patch (or the Roland one) was on just about every late-night 80s cheesy "horror" show.

I think they sold many MT-32s back in the '80s :D

Sounds a little thin to me, but I am not the guy to ask about organ sounds.

Yep but the typical, common "lounge" organ of the '60s wasn't the B-3, but the cheaper transistor emulations... which sound awesomely cool in their own way...

Not bad for an orch patch.

especially for almost 15 years ago..

Thanks for posting those. I see the Proteus units come and go on feePay and sometimes wonder whether or not they're worth the effort. I might have to pick one up. Where does the Proteus FX fall in the range of Proteus boxes, though? How does it compare to, say, a Proteus 2000 or 2500?

Falls in between. Basically the Proteus FX adds the orchestral sounds from the Proteus 2, effects, improved piano sound.... whereas the Proteus 2000 and 2500 are much newer, and feature more modern sounds... I have a page for the PK-6 which basically is the ROM of the 2000, and as can hear, it improves a lot on the older Proteus line... http://www.synthmania.com/pk-6.htm

-

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hi, is anyone still here to talk to?

I've been hunting down a sound. A patch on the Proteus FX, patch 122 Infinite (Sfx). Essentially I just really want this sound for my own productions. I don't own any hardware, I can't afford it. I heard that there were software emulations so I started looking there. I got the Proteus VX, the freeware softsampler, which is great but doesn't contain the patch I'm looking for. I heard that the VX can load soundbanks from the Emulator series. But I can't find that patch in any other e-mu library. Can anyone help at all?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, Rotan, I don't have a Proteus FX at the moment, and I don't think I have the sysex for it, sorry - but I do still have Proteus VX, and that patch sounds like it's a metal hit / bell / tambourine that's been pitch-shifted down a few octaves - those types of sounds were in vogue back then. So, until you find the sysex, on the Proteus VX you can probably recreate it using patches that contain similar sounds, i.e.

P0897 Agogos
P0900 Bells1
P0901 Bells2
P0942 Tams 1
P0943 Tams 2

and then use a free pitch-shifting program (Audacity should do it) to pitch it down, and add reverb