So im on my 5/6th Fuzz Factory and this one sounds nothing like any of the others?!

Kid_A

• Members

I recently got a 2001 Purple Sparkle Fuzz Factory for a really good price... brought it mainly as i had my last sparkle fuzz factory from a gig years ago and always wanted to replace it...

Anyhoo, got to rehearsals last week, plugged it in, and {censored}, this thing was SO much less thin/raspy then what im used to with fuzz factories. My bassist is now using it for some ideas...

Anyone else notice big differencies between fuzz factories?

• Members

Short answer-yes

Long answer-I've tried a number of fuzz factories and AB'd some. I tried my handpainted 2000 against Tre's 'Jesus Don't Bomb' version and they were identical in sound. We were even sad enough to take the backs off and they were different inside, different components and different amoounts of them. I've also tried mine against Paul's 2000 and it does sound different. The first one I tried in a shop in Fort Lauderdale sounded different to any of the others I've tried since.

Also I#ve noticed that the stab control range has changed over the 10 years I've owned mine. So when you use the stab knob as a tone control it's less raspy. Mine has certainly mellowed over the years. Also what was the temperature in the rehearsal studio? They sound different when cold/hot. I've actually warmed mine up a bit when recording in my attic.

• Members

I think the issue is probably the germanium transistors used in it.

The vary widely and stocks of them can be hard to find, and probably come from different places at different times. also they can change over temperature.

I built one and it sounds great! I have a different set of trannies and am going to build another with those.

• Members

Short answer-yes

Long answer-I've tried a number of fuzz factories and AB'd some. I tried my handpainted 2000 against Tre's 'Jesus Don't Bomb' version and they were identical in sound. We were even sad enough to take the backs off and they were different inside, different components and different amoounts of them. I've also tried mine against Paul's 2000 and it does sound different. The first one I tried in a shop in Fort Lauderdale sounded different to any of the others I've tried since.

Also I#ve noticed that the stab control range has changed over the 10 years I've owned mine. So when you use the stab knob as a tone control it's less raspy. Mine has certainly mellowed over the years. Also what was the temperature in the rehearsal studio? They sound different when cold/hot.
I've actually warmed mine up a bit when recording in my attic.

Microwave???

• Members

My bass player had one from around 2003/2004 and it was mad trebly.

i believe sometime around '01 was when he switched (yet again) to a different batch of transistors.

seems like lots of people who have pre-'01 FF's (myself included) think they're warmer/thicker/bassier/etc.

• Members

I rarely use mine now. I did have a band years ago that featured the fuzz factory on around 4-5 songs. My live setting 9 * 12 3 9 (* at 9 o clock it squeals at 3 o clock it splutters) meant that I could adjust the pedal for a variety of sounds with just the gate knob.

Because a number of songs were written around riffs on the fuzz factory and crazy ones at that it didnt really matter. The problem IMHO is when you want to control the pedal and say make sounds that were originally done on your Big Muff or Fuzz Face. It dont really happen.

Archived