Sign in to follow this  
Liff

noiseless treble booster?

Is there anything like that?

I gig at various venues, and the electricity sometimes cause big noise problems.

The amps tend to hiss a little and my treble booster just amplify it to a fault, even with batteries.

It's not the problem of the boosters though, it's the inherent problem in my rig...

Just wondering whether there's anything that's quieter and act like a TB...

All treble boosters will amplify existing hum. The Keeley Java is the lesser offender from TB's i've tried, but it ain't "quiet" and it definitely ain't "silent."

- Do you leave the TB on all the time?

- Do you know why the rest of your gear is so noisy?

- What exactly are you using your TB for and what pedal is it?

If it's a venue wiring issue, there's not much you can do other than (maybe) use a more shielded guitar with (maybe) humbuckers and (maybe) an OD pedal instead of a TB. I find OD's don't amplify existing noise as much as TB's, but then you lose the charm and rough edges.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I leave TB on all the time. When I'm in rehearsal space the noise floor is acceptable, but the bad electricity and lights at the gigs make things much worse...

I'm currently using a CIJ Jazzmaster, which is quite noisy by itself.

Guess I need to look into ODs. Any good replacement?

Which TB are you using now?

Jazzmaster pickups are never the quietest and are especially sensitive to lights in my experience -- maybe some of the JM players can chime in with some tips?

Also - a bit of a strange one, but try plugging your amp into a multiplug adapter rather than plugging straight into the wall socket. Sometimes this can cut down on noise.

if your treble booster is a faithful Dallas Rangemaster clone, then it's perfectly normal that it is noisy

how are you powereing it ? an isolated output like a Pedalpower could help or a separate walmart are OK

Daisychains or Onespot are not

Cool tip! I didn't know that multiplug would affect the noise. I'll try that out tomorrow.

I'm currently using soulonicfx's multirange booster, which is actually the quieter one I have had. :facepalm:

Which TB are you using now?

Jazzmaster pickups are never the quietest and are especially sensitive to lights in my experience -- maybe some of the JM players can chime in with some tips?

Also - a bit of a strange one, but try plugging your amp into a multiplug adapter rather than plugging straight into the wall socket. Sometimes this can cut down on noise.

I use pedalpower or battery with it all the time.

if your treble booster is a faithful Dallas Rangemaster clone, then it's perfectly normal that it is noisy

how are you powereing it ? an isolated output like a Pedalpower could help or a separate walmart are OK

Daisychains or Onespot are not

the Keeley Java I use is quiet to the point of never being an issue with me. I use a volume pedal and kill the volume between songs (if there's a noise problem), that's the only time during a gig where noise will be noticable.