3/4 scale / 30" scale necks

jorhay1

• Members

I'm assuming he's referring to basses? If so, 3/4 bass necks are indeed the same as 30" bass necks, to my knowledge.

yes sirs,

and specifically mustang basses.

I wanted to know if the 30" they list for the mustang bass is the same as the 3/4 size P bass's and other 3/4s you see around.

sorry I wasn't clear,

Thanks guys!

yes sirs,

and specifically mustang basses.

I wanted to know if the 30" they list for the mustang bass is the same as the 3/4 size P bass's and other 3/4s you see around.

sorry I wasn't clear,

Thanks guys!

The term 3/4 scale has kind of fallen out of favor... and it's not very specific.

A Mustang bass is generally considered a "short scale" bass, and at 30", it is one of the more popular bass scale lengths. Hofners and Rogue violin basses are in that same basic size. Regular, or long scale, is 34". Squier made a mid-scale (32") P-Bass in the mid-80s; I had one, and gave it to one of my daughters, who still has it. 32" is a rarer length than 34 or 30".

I've seen other basses recently with even "shorter" scale lengths - around 28", and these are really what I'd consider to be closer to "3/4" scale. But technically, 3/4 of the "regular" or standard (34") bass scale length is actually 25.5" - the same as a Strat. :lol:

3/4 scale = Mustang scale = 22.5 inches

Strat scale = 25.5 inches

Scale (string instruments)

Mustangs, like the II series Musicmasters and Duo Sonics, were available in both 22.5" and 24" scale lengths. Jaguars also share the 24" scale length, as do a few other Fender models. All are generally considered to be "short scales", but IMHO, not all Mustangs / Duo Sonics / Musicmasters are "3/4 scale", although I generally agree with the conventional opinion that the 22.5" scale is "3/4", even though, like with the bass example pointed out earlier, it's technically longer than three quarters of a Strat's 25.5" "full scale" length. It would have to be 19.125" to be a "true" 3/4 scale.

All of which kind of illustrates why I personally am not a big fan of the term "three quarter scale" - like I said, it's not very accurate, nor is it specific enough.

Archived