Has anyone ever built a spring reverb inside a guitar?

• Members

how {censored}ed up would that sound be! with feedback resonating through the body and vibrating the spring too!

and you could punch your guitar for reverb booms.

just occurred to me that it could be great, accessible, and the guitar is big enough in dimensions to take a long spring inside a cavity.. :idk:

• Members

Seems like it would be good for experimental and noise but it could get problematic if you wanted to keep it tame. Say you make a sudden movement while playing and BOOM, springs rattle, not good if you didnt want it to happen.

• Members

That's a pretty neat idea. It would be really cool for avant-noise stuff. Epic feedback.

It'd be tricky making it so it doesn't clank and boom with every move the guitar makes, but is still sensitive enough to be able to behave that way in a controlled manner.

When I play my Strat or Mustang unplugged, I can hear the springs in the trem resonating - it's particularly noticeable on certain notes. I kind of like it. :) But putting a spring reverb, with its much lighter springs into a guitar body? It would be way too sensitive to motion to be usable IMO.

• Members

When I play my Strat or Mustang unplugged, I can hear the springs in the trem resonating - it's particularly noticeable on certain notes. I kind of like it.
:)
But putting a spring reverb, with its much lighter springs into a guitar body? It would be way too sensitive to motion to be usable IMO.

Then how about using the trem springs instead of the reverb springs?

• Members

A friend of mine made a string reverb guitar/harp:

rJkjGJElruM

Basically the second "neck" is a hollow chamber that has a small amp/speaker in it which feeds the guitar side's output (or whatever you want) into the chamber, which vibrates the strings and those get picked up and sent out as well.

• Members

you guys had a good thought, but needs to be added with some real world application stuff...

1- power... is a 9v enough?

2- guitar type... i only see this working in a semi or full hollowbody due to reverb tank size... even a small one.

3- unwanted verb.... easy, a flip switch to take it in/out of the guitar signal path.

• Members

you guys had a good thought, but needs to be added with some real world application stuff...

2- guitar type... i only see this working in a semi or full hollowbody due to reverb tank size... even a small one.

3- unwanted verb.... easy, a flip switch to take it in/out of the guitar signal path.

No

number one spring reverb related error

you could use a step-up charge pump to get 35V though, which would be enough

• Members

the reverb tank in my Vox Pathfinder is about 6" long, not too hard to rout out of a solid body.

• Members

I am on the lookout for parts to build devi's guitar... but I'll also be looking for a hollowbody with a control panel opening, and short reverb tank if I can figure out the powering question...

would it be possible to send a wire from the output jack to a speaker (like in those mini amps) mounted under/next to the spring.. so the speaker drives the spring?

• Members

the reverb tank in my Vox Pathfinder is about 6" long, not too hard to rout out of a solid body.

yeah, but you need some body mass... 6"x2" ish chunk is a lot

anyone know how much power is needed for a reverb tank... and if it is possible to somehow get this from a 9V or a combination of rechargeable batteries that could be mounted in a plastic case like in old toys...

• Members

would it be possible to send a wire from the output jack to a speaker (like in those mini amps) mounted under/next to the spring.. so the speaker drives the spring?

no clue... i'm almost thinking just putting in a wall mounted power plug on the back and an extension cable might be easier...

• Members

Basically it would be like a very handling noise sensitive feedback maker, no?

I have a practice amp in which the springs are mounted badly and very prone to vibrations. At max reverb, it basically builds a midrange hum into a piercing humsqueal until the mix control is backed off.

As a noisemaking device, it could be interesting, but definitely: put the strings on a switch(or a volume knob). Also, the size of a guitar would limit a fair bit, what kind of springs you could use. And you would need to find space for a spring amplifier, and you would probably need two outputs on the guitar.

Could be fun though.

• Members

IIRC, the Vox Pathfinder actually uses a sort of compression circuit in the reverb to make up for the tiny springs. So it works, size-wise, but might need some more circuitry to get bigger spring sounds out.

• Members

Yes it has been done, and exactly like the picture bieke has shown

I remember seeing it many years ago, there is a link on MIMF.COM

for a 'Reverbitar'

unfortunately the link doesnt exist anymore, it was about 10 years ago when i first saw it!

• Members

Yes it has been done, and exactly like the picture bieke has shown

I remember seeing it many years ago, there is a link on MIMF.COM

for a 'Reverbitar'

unfortunately the link doesnt exist anymore, it was about 10 years ago when i first saw it!

well, I found a link, it's a Word document

Reverbitar