If more bassists used distortion the world would be a better place

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After really obsessing over Failure, I realized how much they influenced Tool's gear choices (Wal bass, Rat, fuzz - bf2, dd3, wah). Whenever I hear "Frogs" the first thing that comes to my head is WAL + RAT + AMPEG = BOOM!

Gonna have to agree with you here. I was actually at this show way back when. Even on this live recording the bass tone is just sick.

You'll enjoy this. :) The whole set is up there.

We play in a three piece, and my bassist currently uses an Akai Unibass, Boss ODB-3, and a Malekko B:Ass Master.

We've tried a Rat, Turbo Rat, Black Russian Big Muff, B:Ass Master, and even a Guyatone TZ-2 Fuzz.

• Members

My baaist has some sweet {censored}ing sounds if I do say so myself. He plays a P bass with flat wounds thru a number of effects. He's got I think 3 different dirt pedals....an overdrive for lighter saturation, some weird fuzz that gets radio stations sometimes for a grosser fuzz sound and a zvex Mastotron. That thing sounds EPIC on bass...with the bass switch you can really pump some low end and get this huge sound.

• Members

We play in a three piece, and my bassist currently uses an Akai Unibass, Boss ODB-3, and a Malekko B:Ass Master.

We've tried a Rat, Turbo Rat, Black Russian Big Muff, B:Ass Master, and even a Guyatone TZ-2 Fuzz.

I like to use this for my bass distortion...

SCODpedal.jpg

...my band calls it "The Awesome Switch".

• Members

In a band situation, if the bassist was using fuzz and the guitarist also, would it not sound very muddy and not mix together well?

Depends on how their setups are EQ'd. The mids on my bass are more aggressive than the mids on my guitarist's rig (at least in the amp that I run the 2x10 out of...the amp I run my low end out of is set to retain a big, tight punchy low end). The sound mixes pretty nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived