EQD Monarch or Chrysalis?

upinflames

• Members

I play a Rickenbacker 360 or Fender Telecaster into Fender AB165 Bassman into a matching 2 x 12" cabinet, and I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that can get me a nice, bright sparkle like Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker, but all really thick like, oh, Superchunk or something. I'm really GASing on the Earthquaker Devices stuff...but I can decide between these two overdrives. It seems like the Monarch has more gain, but can it clean up like Chrysalis? Does the Chrysalis has a nice mid-range bit, but can it get into distortion territory? I tried e-mailing EQD directly, and called Rock Block here in Nashville but they don't have either pedal in stock right now. I'm looking to pull the trigger ASAP, so let me know what you think!

• Members

For Petty tones I would suggest tbiac or an englishman.

I was looking at the Lovepedal Les Lius pretty hard, which would be a great overdrive for the Petty thing...a lot of Mike Campbell's tone is from a tweed Princeton and Deluxe. But, that pedal definitely can't get into distortion territory. The TBIAC has too many knobs for me haha.

• Members

The chrysalis will not do what you're after. I had one, never vibed with it. It's perfect for achieving thin lizzy tones and the like, but it will not clean up the way you want it to. Eqd makes great pedals, but that is not the one you're after

• Members

When I saw Petty with the Black Crowes they were using Vox Super Beatles. My Laney does a pretty good job of nailing Petty/Campbell tones ( EL84). I guess he uses the Tweeds in studio?? Do you have the album "She's the One". The movie was lame but the album is epic. The guitar playing on that album is insane..

• Members

When I saw Petty with the Black Crowes they were using Vox Super Beatles.

Funny you should mention that. From Premier Guitar:

"Those Super Beatles are on stage now - I'm not actually playing through them but Tom does on a couple of songs. Behind them are the things that we are actually using in the mix.

Right now my favorite setup, which I kinda found with my little band in the clubs but I use onstage now with the Heartbreakers, is a tweed Deluxe and a blackface Fender Princeton together behind the Super Beatle, and an isolated Vox AC30 that I have backstage in a box. The guy up front can pull up any of those amps that fit the room that night, but mostly it's the blackface Princeton and the tweed Deluxe, which is a '59. Those two amps sound really great together. "

Archived