MXR - Carbon Copy. Are these a good analog delay?

• Members

Such as?

I have owned more delay pedals than I can count. My two favorites are the Wampler AnalogEcho and the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport. The Wampler just sounds terrific. Lush and wet delays; the tone knob is a revelation. The Disaster Transport just takes vintage-sounding delay to a whole new level.

I also liked the Stereo Deluxe MM but could never get the hang of programing it. For under $100 it is hard to beat a used Line 6 Echo Park, too.

• Members

Such as?

If you want warm/dark and mushy, then this is a good delay. You head up a slippery slope when you start looking at "better" delays. You'll get everyone's current favorite delay of the moment. Mine is the TC Electronics Flashback. The analog mode sounds great, the toneprint mode is also an analog delay with some vibrato - I prefer it over most actual analog delays.

Others I might recommend, the Catalinbread Montavillain should be on your list, not really analog, but sounds very analogish, same with the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport, with footswitchable modulation. I also really enjoyed (and wish I still had) the Malekko E600 series delay, either the bright or dark version.

Any of these delays I would prefer over the Carbon Copy, but you should try and listen to as many clips as possible first, to see what you prefer.

• Members

PS, of the delays I mentioned, only the Malekkp e600 is an actual analog delay. I wouldn't let that be your only guiding parameter though. Digital has really changed, for the better.

• Members

completely disagree. The CC does not get anywhere near the DMM. I had both at the same time. Nothing alike at all. Sorry but no.

I said if you run it at 18v the repeats get into DMM territory. The DMM is clearly a superior pedal but if you think the stock CC delays are too dark, running it at 18v will bring you closer to the DMM sound.

• Members

Considering buying one of these - I need a good ,warm delay.

If you have some experience with these I would like to know your thoughts.

ehh, I had one and sold it. It's not bad, but I didn't think it was exceptional. My ears perk up to anything that's referred to as analog, but I didn't really see anything fantastic about this pedal. I guess if most of what I did live was ultra clean tones, it might make a difference. And for studio stuff, software is good enough for me. I think I can get a better sound by having more control over it (timing, panning, etc) rather than the actual sound of the echos.

• Members

It's a great delay FOR THE MONEY. Plenty of better ones out there, though.

This is what I think. There may be better ones out there, but thats debatable to, just depends on your tastes. I f you gig regularly, those things are great workhorses

Archived