I need a GREAT PHASE PEDAL. advice needed.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread had me thinking about the Whetstone - Does it really sound any better than a standard EHX? It's huge and has so many functions that I would never use, so I can't imagine buying one, but it does intrigue me...

I guess if they made a 'Junior' version, in a smaller enclosure with just the feedback, depth, rate and level knobs (essentially the Small Stone version of the RetroSonic?), I might be more interested...

• Members

I've got the Retrosonic, it's my favorite phase 90 type. It admittedly is a little more tame - more transparent - than a MXR, but it just sounds so sweet. If you turn the rate up and put it before some heavier OD, it still sounds damn cool.

Heh funnily enough I also own a Boss PH2, I really love it.

• Members

I own a Mad Professor Tiny Orange phaser - It's really nice, I can't dial in a bad sound from it! Only downside is the price!

When I was going through my phaser.... phase :facepalm: - I demo'd the Red Witch as well, which also sounds killer! A bit Thicker/Chewier sounding than the MP Tiny Orange Phaser.

I've heard good things about the retro-sonic phaser as well.

• Members

i have some very good phasers as I am a phase ADDICT. I have the Mutron biphase, infinitphase,etc etc....I would recommend The Blackout effectors Whetstone, it will do sounds you've never heard before. If you need to have it able to work on batteries I would say redwitch moonphase. I have both of these and love them.

Does anything else available now sound like the biphase? I love that sound.

i personally like the HX stereo polyphase but its a very subtle phaser. i like to use it in a downwards envelope mode sometimes, though to get a very saggy sort of sound.

• Members

PH-2 is what's on my pedalboard now. It makes a big raspy swooshing sound that cuts through and makes people go WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT. Not subtle or tasteful in the least.

I've got one of these too. I love its odd combination of horrible and awesome. Plus it's great in a feedback loop.

Guest Guest

Just got a Whirlwind Orange Box and the thing is PERFECT.

Noice. I've been seeing these on lots of boards lately, wondering what all the hubbub is about.

• Members

I own a Mad Professor Tiny Orange phaser - It's really nice, I can't dial in a bad sound from it! Only downside is the price!

When I was going through my phaser.... phase
:facepalm:
- I demo'd the Red Witch as well, which also sounds killer! A bit Thicker/Chewier sounding than the MP Tiny Orange Phaser.

I've heard good things about the retro-sonic phaser as well.

I'm a big phaser fan, and the Tiny Orange phaser is great, but I can't justify the price. I hope they'll do a PCB version of it!

• Members

I'm buying a Whetstone in a week or two! I didn't know they existed till a friend came over with one. He doesn't like it as much but I think it fits the bill quite nicely for me and the fact that you can pull trem and vibrato sounds is a big plus. YE boi I'm excited for some Whet.

• Members

Aren't they a clone of a Phase 90?

Pretty much. Although it's essentially the dude who started MXR so calling it a "clone" seems weird (but it basically is).

I thought I wanted a really versatile phaser, but apparently I was wearing my asshat. I want a phaser that's "in" the sound, not "on top" of it, and that's this pedal to a T.

Archived