One Spot Noise

jorhay1

• Members

I powered 7 pedals (SV2, MOC-1, DOD FX25 Env Filter, Liverpool, DE7, PS3 and Digi Delay in that order) with a one spot,

plugged it in to an audio interface.

When I turn on any of the pedals (with the exception of the SV2) i get a hi pitched (239 cycles or 'D4') tone.

Is that the fault of the 1 spot or am I doing it wrong.

Is it time to get a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ? ) (,,,,or similar,,,please suggest)

• Members

I don't think you can so easily write it of as a problem with the onespot. I use one with no issues and I know plenty of others do as well.

Try the process of elimination; remove one pedal at a time from your signal chain to see when the noise goes away...or start with none and add a pedal at a time and see when the noise starts.

• Members

One (or more) of the digital pedals is disturbed by the switch frequency of the 1spot. You can try letting the pedals fall back one at a time to battery power, to see if there's a specific pedal that has the problem. But chances are you won't get rid of the problem without replacing the power supply for a transformer-based unit.

• Members

One (or more) of the digital pedals is disturbed by the switch frequency of the 1spot. You can try letting the pedals fall back one at a time to battery power, to see if there's a specific pedal that has the problem. But chances are you won't get rid of the problem without replacing the power supply for a transformer-based unit.

Excellent. Thanks andreas and all of you!

Is this something that would, or might happen with a higher end power system as well?

Wondering if it's worth dropping a dime.

• Members

It won't happen with a normal transformer based power supply - it's just the switching types that sometimes cause clock whine in digital and/or time-based pedals. So if you were to get a higher-spec supply (such as the PP2+, Supa-Charger, Cioks DC10 or T-Rex Fuel Tank JR etc), it would most likely not occur.

• Members

Every time anybody has a noise problem it's instantly the 1-spot's fault.

You might well get that interface whine on batteries anyway. It's from the laptop's filthy power, try that on the laptop's battery first.

Otherwise, the DE7, PS3 and digidelay are all older, digital pedals from before anybody could really expect to daisy chain multiple digital pedals. They're almost certainly interfering with eachother. Not the 1-spots fault, you'd get the same thing with a TF based supply if one with enough current actually existed.

I feel kinda sorry for visual sound. They make a power supply able to power loads of pedals at once, and then blame the power supply when those pedals start interfering with eachother.

Try the PS-3 on its own supply. It is a pedal from simpler times, I doubt it's even properly decoupled.

• Members

There's also the possible issue of intermodulation between digital clock frequencies in your digital pedals. In this case it may not be so much an issue of the onespot, but daisy chaining in general.

This audio interface? is it plugged in to a computer? This can also cause some problems depending on the computer. I have a firebox that works flawlessly with my desktop, but is a HUGE source of noise with my laptop.

• Members

I had a onespot that could be terribly noisy: plugged a different power supply into my board (with literally no changes - same cables, cabling, wall socket, even kept the daisy chain etc.) and I still couldn't play for {censored}.

Sorry, beg your pardon; the noise went away, I mean.

• Members

Every time anybody has a noise problem it's instantly the 1-spot's fault.

You might well get that interface whine on batteries anyway. It's from the laptop's filthy power, try that on the laptop's battery first.

Otherwise, the DE7, PS3 and digidelay are all older, digital pedals from before anybody could really expect to daisy chain multiple digital pedals. They're almost certainly interfering with
eachother
. Not the 1-spots fault, you'd get the same thing with a TF based supply if one with enough current actually existed.

I feel kinda sorry for visual sound. They make a power supply able to power loads of pedals at once, and then blame the power supply when those pedals start interfering with eachother.

Try the PS-3 on its own supply. It is a pedal from simpler times,
I doubt it's even properly decoupled.

This worked for me. all is now quiet and loverly.

I guess it's basically the same thing as getting a PP2+, Supa-Charger, Cioks DC10 or T-Rex Fuel Tank JR etc,

since it seems that the problem was that the PS-3 wanted an isolated PWR supply. :idk:

The pitched noise was intermittent so I hope it doesn't come back,

but you seemed to have fixed my problem without me spending any $

Good man! Thank you.

• Members

one thing,

The LED on the PS-3 Doesn't go completely off when it's switched off.

It just kind of dims down a lot.

Sounds fine though.

Maybe my power supply is wrong?

A Korg 9v, 500ma

model A30950

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-KA-183-A30950-Power-Adapter-100140618-i1129201.gc

looks like it's mainly used with keyboards, and drum machines, and electribe 1

should work for pedals, no?

• Members

Hey George,

I tested the pedal right before I left on saturday. It was powered by a one spot along with a DL8, a TU2 and a Klon. There was no noise at all......

Hi,

LOVE the pedal! thanks.

That's confirmed with me too. It's dead quiet with my liverpool and the 1 spot.

I think i has to do with all the other crap in my studio, plus the fact that I have 8 pedals chained (if I put a dirt in front).

Also. might have fixed my problem if I iso'd one of the other pedals since it seems to be related to the interaction.

I have had noise issues from the digi delay in the past and will probably drop it when find my DMM in the garage.

I also changed the order, put my DOD FX 25, another old pedal, after the PS-3, that my have helped too.

Thanks again!, you rock!

• Members

I've had noise problems daisychaining my SMM/H with random others on through my amp. Swapped it for a diago power supply (also daisychained), instant problem go-away! No isolated outputs necissary (in my case).

• Members

I've had noise problems daisychaining my SMM/H with random others on through my amp. Swapped it for a diago power supply (also daisychained), instant problem go-away! No isolated outputs necissary (in my case).

Nice. The Diago looks sweet!

Archived