Badfinger - Baby Blue guitar tone

archimedes

• Members

I've been listening to a lot of power pop lately and really getting into Badfinger. I've been a fan of Big Star for a while but recently got interested in finding similar stuff from the time period.

Any ideas on what pedals could get close to the lead tone in this song? I linked a video of them playing but I'm pretty certain it is just the album track and they are lip synching. Either way, it's the tone I'm trying to breakdown. Read somewhere that they used vibrochamps on that album. Any help would be appreciated.

http://youtu.be/C53QAuOoSgc

Tim

• Members

This is from a Joey Molland interview.

What gear did you use for the album? (Straight Up)

"Both Pete and I predominantly used two Fender Vibro Champs, and Tom used a Fender Bassman with a 2 x 12 bass cab. We both used Les Pauls, I used a 1957 TV model on Baby Blue which later got stolen. Pete used a Gibson SG that George had given to the band a couple years back. It was the same SG that George had used on Paperback Writer. And Pete and George both used a Fender Strat for the slide parts on Day After Day. Acoustics, I was playing a

• Members

Sounds like a short echo for a doubling effect on the original studio version. Starts at 0:34

1qsvbByYEh0

Solo could be an even shorter echo/manual flange/set wah/treble booster?

• Members

Thanks, guys. If tone is in the hair, then those guys have the best guitar tones ever. Especially, Pete Hamm. I've seen that interview, and I actually was able to try out my boss' 70's Vibrochamp today. Could very well be the amp they used for the song, but I feel like they had to have been running through something else for the fuzziness. I agree about the doubling effect. I can't tell if it's flange, vibrato, trem, echo....etc. It is so subtle I can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone has tried to acheive this sound and may know a fuzz or overdrive that gets a pretty similar base tone. I know Phil is a big power pop fan and an engineer, so maybe he would have some ideas! ;)

Tim

• Members

OT but, in addition to have a ton of great tunes spread throughout their catalog, Pete Ham's demos are REALLY good. He was a decent drummer. If you get into the more upbeat side of power pop (a genre I'm actually really wary of) check the Raspberries (Badfingers only hair rivals) and Flaming Groovies (circa Shake Some Action). -E

Guest Guest

OT but, in addition to have a ton of great tunes spread throughout their catalog, Pete Ham's demos are REALLY good. He was a decent drummer. If you get into the more upbeat side of power pop (a genre I'm actually really wary of) check the Raspberries (Badfingers only hair rivals) and Flaming Groovies (circa Shake Some Action). -E

AND BIG STAR!!!

Guest Guest

Yeah, they're not too bad. I didn't see them in a google video search or grooveshark, BUT:

http://www.amazon.com/OlPaint-Ol-Paint/dp/B000T97YFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304007562&sr=8-2

some sound samples there.

Also, as far as the OP is concerned - I've found that the Skreddy Screwdriver does a lot of the pushed-amp late-60s/early-70s stuff really well. Felt like it nailed the lead tone on Live/Dead. I know that isn't identical to what we're talking about here, but it has a similar "vintage grit," I'd say.

• Members

Wow! Sounds like a cross between the Nazz and the Left Banke! I've never heard of these guys; thanks! -E

Yeah, they're not too bad. I didn't see them in a google video search or grooveshark, BUT:

some sound samples there.

Also, as far as the OP is concerned - I've found that the Skreddy Screwdriver does a lot of the pushed-amp late-60s/early-70s stuff really well. Felt like it nailed the lead tone on Live/Dead. I know that isn't identical to what we're talking about here, but it has a similar "vintage grit," I'd say.

• Members

Wow, expected this thread to die but I'm glad it didn't. Thanks for the suggestion on the skreddy! Been interested in the screwdriver since it came out years ago, but I've been happy with the three dirt pedals I have for a while so I've never really strayed much. May look for one locally to try out. I have never heard of Ol' Paint. Listen to the Raspberries. Great stuff once you get used to Eric Carmen's sappiness and their blatant ape-ing of Beatles, Beach boys and the Who. But I guess Badfinger isn't much better for that matter.... 'Tonight' by the Raspberries is one of my favorite pop songs. I've been meaning to buy some Flamin' Groovies stuff. I have been on a binge of power pop lately. The db's, the Posies, Teenage Fanclub, Cheap Trick, Tommy Keene, and Marshall Crenshaw (maybe not exactly power pop, but close enough in many aspects) are all great. And for anybody else that loves Big Star, do yourself a favor and buy Chris Bell's I am the Cosmos, if you already haven't. It's good stuff.

Tim

• Members

I'm gonna pimp these guys (full disclosure: I recorded this demo): http://soundcloud.com/dotdashdc/sets/dot-dash They (mostly) sound like the Flamin' Groovies meet Crosby-era Byrds. -E

PS Love "I Am the Cosmos" more than any Big Star (I think).

Wow, expected this thread to die but I'm glad it didn't. Thanks for the suggestion on the skreddy! Been interested in the screwdriver since it came out years ago, but I've been happy with the three dirt pedals I have for a while so I've never really strayed much. May look for one locally to try out. I have never heard of Ol' Paint. Listen to the Raspberries. Great stuff once you get used to Eric Carmen's sappiness and their blatant ape-ing of Beatles, Beach boys and the Who. But I guess Badfinger isn't much better for that matter.... 'Tonight' by the Raspberries is one of my favorite pop songs. I've been meaning to buy some Flamin' Groovies stuff. I have been on a binge of power pop lately. The db's, the Posies, Teenage Fanclub, Cheap Trick, Tommy Keene, and Marshall Crenshaw (maybe not exactly power pop, but close enough in many aspects) are all great. And for anybody else that loves Big Star, do yourself a favor and buy Chris Bell's I am the Cosmos, if you already haven't. It's good stuff.

Tim

• 8 years later...
  • Members

The Story Behind The Song: Baby Blue By Badfinger

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-baby-blue-by-badfinger

"While Rundgren set about redoing some of the tracks done with Emerick and Harrison, Baby Blue was the first new Badfinger tune he attempted. A key feature was his decision to feed a guitar through a Leslie speaker. He later described the effect it created as a “swirly guitar sound that was somewhat signature on the song”.

Archived