Distortion Pedals

• Members

I have a fender hot rod deluxe amp and it is great for most is the music I play but every now and then I want a little more. Are there any good pedals that can give a good metal sound through a clean fender amp. I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Billy Corgan Strat.

• Members

VisualSound Jekyll & Hyde will cover an extremely wide range for a pretty reasonable price, and you can combine the two channels (overdrive and distortion) for a heavily saturated metal-approved tone. That being said, it's not going to be ideal for certain types of death metal or industrial unless you have high-output pickups.

• Members

Well, if you like SP the Barber Dirty Bomb reminded me of MCIS era SP tone. I'm actually getting another one just to dick around with it. Not really my cup of tea for original music, but it's fun.

Edit:

This sort of sound...

[video=youtube;97sYm0Bkd3Y]

• Members

I am looking for a kind of Metallica tone. I have the SP tone covered.

Metallica's tone has changed so much over the years that it'd be hard to suggest a one-size-fits-all pedal. If you want to keep the price down, the MXR Fullbore would probably serve you well. The EQ is pretty good, and the noise gate is sufficient for what noise the pedal kicks out. I bought one as an emergency backup for my ART pedal.

• Members

ive had great luck with the digitech hardwire valve distortion, MI tubezone/Crunchbox and Way huge Fat sawndich, for use on top of an amps clean tone

ive got some demo clips of them in the link in my sig if it helps.

I like the Valve Distortion as well. It covers a lot of ground and the toggle gives it two distinct voices. I am prefering it's versatility over my Crunchbox lately.

• Members

I think a real brutal chugga chugga metal tone is gonna be close to impossible with your amp, unless maybe you go the digital/modeler route. But for that kind of high gain distortion like in that smashing pumpkins thread you probably can't go wrong with that Barber Diry Bomb. There's loads of pricey booteek options that might do a little bit better, but you really dont want/have to spend more then $125 or so on a silly dirt pedal. If you're buying used that is.

I just got a used MI Audio Tube Zone, V3. Really really nice distorion, loads of gain with a loose fuzzy edge to it. Probably as nice sounding as a pedal can sound.

Turns out none of the dirt pedals I try beat my amp's dirty channel though. I can't help but comparing, and I won't settle for anything that's less good as what I already have.

For you though, the Tube Zone might do the trick, 'cause I'm guessing the hot rod is better with pedals as my amp, and the hot rod's overdrive can be kinda meh for most heavier styles.

Another one that came close but was too expensive to justify keeping around: Suhr Riot.